Page 100 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 509098991001011021101502006001100 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 100

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I got extreme anxiety on the evening of the first day.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    Leptin is available ot research protocols in synthetic form. It is not suitable for public use because the Amgen trials did not show success in a large enough cross section of patients. The one place where it was extremely successful was in the morbidly obese who lost weight by themselves or with surgery. The reason is the morbidly obese destroy their hypocretin neurons in the hypothalamus and this reduces the sensitivity to leptin. So the previously fat person need higher leptin levels to stimulate the smaller amount of neurons in the brain. When these people were given synthetic leptin they did very well. I think eventually leptin will be released as an adjunct to obesity surgery.
    Oh goody, so even if we lose weight and get healthy, we're stuck with this problem?
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Granted my brain hasn't been working well lately, but my reading of that was that taking synthetic leptin supplements wasn't showing itself to be "the answer" for most people, similar to how synthetic hormones haven't been the answer for post-menopausal HRT or thyroid patients, etc. But my guess is that natural leptin supplementation, if it can be developed, or dietary changes, will be the best answer - as in those same other hormonal cases. Dunno if I'm right!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde_child View Post
    Has anyone else been having issues with anxiety during the reset? For the last 2 to 3 days I've been easily startled and right now I feel terribly anxious and jittery. It feels like my adrenals are working overtime. I've been doing the reset for about 2 1/2 weeks.
    Not actual anxiety, but I've definitely been short tempered and "off". Not as sharp as normal and just feeling a bit blue. I'm sticking it out, as everything I read leads me to believe that I'm LR (I haven't had any blood work done, just going on symptoms but I have the big ones) and I think I need this for my health overall. I am looking forward to this phase passing though.

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    The key with leptin is regaining your own natural sensitivity to allow it to control the other hormones in the body. The only people who really seem to need synthetic leptin are those who seriously damaged their hypothalamus. In SG reward series Inthewoo made some comments that made me realize she was in the Amgen trials and she was one of the people who needed leptin. Most people dont need to take leptin. They just need to learn how to regain its sensitivity. With leptin it is most critical to focus in on timing of when you eat and how meals are spaced and their is no snacking. The secondary importance is the fuel........with regards to the fuel it must be low carb and you must retrain your brain reset the satiety signals with high protein and fat breakfast. Think of the reset as you would when your computer needs repair. You wipe it clean and you put in new drivers or software. They real key is making sure your really leptin resistant. If youre not you just need to eat a paleo diet using leptin principles. You then can add in IFing and go from there. The protocol is easy to do and you will know when youre hitting your stride because their are many symptoms to follow. Some people will have different schedules because their liver or muscles maybe in worse shape than they knew. Horsewoman is one of those in this thread. My ambient awareness of her based upon her posting leads me to believe she is either AR or has a seriously LR liver. Anyone who can go long with out eating and carbs has issues that need to be solved. Im sad that in the UK there are not too many options for her but doing this on her own but hopefully she remains persistent with this because if she does it will get better.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Granted my brain hasn't been working well lately, but my reading of that was that taking synthetic leptin supplements wasn't showing itself to be "the answer" for most people, similar to how synthetic hormones haven't been the answer for post-menopausal HRT or thyroid patients, etc. But my guess is that natural leptin supplementation, if it can be developed, or dietary changes, will be the best answer - as in those same other hormonal cases. Dunno if I'm right!
    That's how I read it.
    Georgette

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    anxiety comes from liver leptin resistance. That is Leptin Part deux. 60% of your serotonin is locked into the gut. Doing a leptin reset effects your gut and the enterochromaffin cells where serotonin lives. The other 40% is in pineal.......for sleep. Quitting that soon is not a good option.
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde_child View Post
    So are you saying that this is just a stage in the reset and that I should hang in there and that this too shall pass?
    I'd like to know more about this as well. There are multiple folks who have depression related symptoms when going lower carb--DigitalSurgeon, are you saying this will clear up during the leptin reset (within the 6-8 weeks)? Can you explain anything about this a little more (the serotonin being locked in the gut?) Folks, if you've read about this on Dr.K's blog (or somewhere else) feel free to share a link--don't want to bug the Doc w/ all these questions if he's already answered them elsewhere.

I recall cillakat having a terrible transition when moving toward a VLC diet. She mentioned 8 weeks of hell and sleeplessness, and then suddenly it all clicked and she felt amazing. (Cillakat also dealt with depression and other issues....) I wonder if that was really a leptin reset for her?...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Horsewoman is one of those in this thread. My ambient awareness of her based upon her posting leads me to believe she is either AR or has a seriously LR liver. Anyone who can go long with out eating and carbs has issues that need to be solved. Im sad that in the UK there are not too many options for her but doing this on her own but hopefully she remains persistent with this because if she does it will get better.
    Oh you can certain I will remain persistent lol.

I can go 6-7 hrs without eating on low carb, no problem. I don't need carbs for energy, only for the serotonin-raising effect due to their effect on the relative levels of tryptophan and other AAs in the blood. Is that related to AR or LR? I had been assuming it was a separate issue relating to a tendency to low serotonin (both my parents have had depression as well). Is it actually part of the same story?

I'm pretty sure I have at least some degree of AR considering everything my body has been through over the last 15 years. LR liver, I'm not sure, I don't have any problem with fueling my body when I am low carb, I felt good on it and was fine to eat 3 times a day, even waiting until after work to have lunch. It was only over time that my serotonin level dropped (coincided with winter... worst seasonal affective disorder ever). I am pretty sure it is serotonin, since 5-HTP helped a lot etc, it all fits. Other than that I felt great on LC and would never have considered giving it up, it was so liberating to not need to think about when I was next going to eat all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I'd like to know more about this as well. There are multiple folks who have depression related symptoms when going lower carb--DigitalSurgeon, are you saying this will clear up during the leptin reset (within the 6-8 weeks)? Can you explain anything about this a little more (the serotonin being locked in the gut?) Folks, if you've read about this on Dr.K's blog (or somewhere else) feel free to share a link--don't want to bug the Doc w/ all these questions if he's already answered them elsewhere.
    Sorry, didn't see there was already a similar question posted.

I did well over 6-8 weeks of low carb, 3 meals a day, no snacking, 40+g of protein at breakfast but once the low mood kicked in it only got gradually worse. So I couldn't get too hopefully that the reset would help with that issue. Be nice if it did though!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-14-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday was a bit tough for me. I didn't get enough sleep the night before, and then after eating the normal large breakfast, I had a busy and environmentally stressful morning. I didn't finish lunch until 2 pm, and while I ate much less than usual, I thought I would be ok, since I wasn't even hungry in the first place. I thought to myself, "hey, I'm Leptin Sensitive! Is it time for me to go to 2 meals a day?" Soon that thinking was replaced by wondering when I could start eating dinner. I hung on until dinner, and ate a normal one, with a bit more protein than usual to replace what I didn't get at lunch. Then I found myself wanting more stuff, first grabbing cheese and olives, and then going for some carbs. The final blow was making a cake-in-a-mug with real sugar and flour, and even that didn't really help. OK, new equation: no sleep+overwork+undereating = cake!
    I can't say it was really anxiety, but more of a pacing, an ill-feeling. When I went to bed, I thought I would just put on some relaxing music. I put on the radio, but it got annoying, so I put on a CD, but it was annoying. Then I pulled out some lavender oil, and hated the way it smelled. Finally I just laid down and said, "You are going to lie here until it kills you. There is nothing you can do. Everything is annoying." Of course, it was too hot, then too cold, and the pillow was lumpy etc. etc. etc.
    I woke up several hours later and everything was perfectly fine.
    I know that people like SG are so wrong about the food reward thing. When people are trying to manage their moods by ingesting something, it really doesn't matter what it tastes like. The way he dissed that woman's "anecdote", shame on him.
    So my question is: is there a typical pattern for people who are trying to get out of liver LR? Is it a one-time hump for most, does it drag out for weeks? Am I back on square one with the reset, or still on day 14?
    Does regular CW dieting and/or IF have the potential to initiate nighttime eating syndrome in people with LR?

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've thought all along my Leptin signalling is OK, but I wanted to try the big protein breakfast just to change things up a little. Did it for about a week. Holy cow! I was starving all day long. I normally don't eat from 6pm-noon, and when I started eating a big, meaty breakfast it gave me hunger signals like crazy, well into the night. I was jonesing for things I haven't even thought about eating since last summer. Went back to my normal IF schedule and all is fine again. I wonder if that's a sign that my Leptin is well-regulated with 6pm-noon IF's or that I do indeed have Leptin issues.