Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some questions and thoughts... page 2

bobbylight Guest

Shop Now

Ketosis no doubt does not mean you are losing weight. The fact that you are eating so little should cause weight loss though. It might be a good idea to bump up your calories because that seems quite low. Nuts, adding olive oil to veggies and salads, and cooking in butter or ghee is a good way to do it.

bobbylight Guest

I threw in your numbers into a calorie calculator, and this is what I got:

Maintenance:

1960 Calories/day

Fat Loss:

1568 Calories/day

Extreme Fat Loss:

1440 Calories/day

Baglady is offline Junior Member

a week and a half is awesome! I really began feeling great at my 3 week mark. We are all different and it depends on how quickly we rid ourselves of the garbage. I seems to me that the more I don't eat sweets/crap the less I crave them, so god forbid I have a peice of candy.....my body screams for it for days!

So, welcome to PB, there are so many great peeps here and so much info to absorb that you won't be bored and you won't be alone through this process.

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

Thanks again, everyone!! Your comments have been helpful and encouraging!

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

These are all great suggestions and I want to add just one tiny thing do what works best for you. Tweak things as you go until you find what does what you want. As someone said earlier, try to not count calories. I have actually heard that calories don't mean a thing because the way they figure out calories is by burning a food to see how much it takes to raise the thermometer by a degree. Our digestion system is far more complex than that, so to me it doesn't make that much sense to follow the calorie count. You may want to watch these series of videos (equaling around an hour). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rnO...eature=related He says a lot of things that are in line with Mark, but also brings up some other things (like calories) that aren't. But it is another source and you can take what you like from it.

So congratulations on what sounds to be a great start on living primal! Keep up the good work, you're sure to become healthier!

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

kongluirong, thanks for the link! I've just started watching it and it is great! I'm going to enjoy this!

bobbylight Guest

Calories are just a measure of energy. How they calculate them is not important, it is important that the measure is consistent and accurate though...which it is.

There is no doubt that calories matter. If calories did not matter, then why do people gain weight? If it is due to the carbs they eat, then how come many eskimos (who eat next to no carbs) are fat. That just wouldn't be possible.

Excess calories cause fat to be stored. A calorie deficit causes one to lose fat (or lean body mass). Some things can effect this though (some people lose more weight on a high carb diet (insulin sensitive), some people lose more weight on a low carb diet (insulin resistant).

Anyway, calories are extremely important, and if you eat too many you will get fat, and if you eat less than your maintenance, you will lose body tissue. The thing is that certain factors will effect what your maintenance is, so it might not seem like it is that cut and dry, but it basically is.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

*shrugs* I was just putting in my two cents. I didn't say that she or anyone else had to believe me. Someone else had said that she should just go with how full or satisfied she felt. So, in essence, if one goes by that - only eating when one is hungry (and many say that less food is needed to keep them satiated) then calories do not matter. People have also stated on the forums that even though they may even eat more in calories (mostly in fats) they lose weight. However...when on carbs...calories DO seem to matter. When primal...not so much.

Queen of the Jungle, glad you're enjoying the videos so far. He brings up some interesting points.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Here's my two cents. I dropped 30 lbs (200-170 lb @ 5-8, 50 years young) without counting a single calorie. I maintained my weight the first 6 mos of the year working out maybe once a week without counting a single calorie, and I'm currently a lean 167 lbs, never counted a calorie in my life. I've eaten Warrior style for the last 2 plus years, IF 5-6 days a week, workout Primal style 5-6 days a week, 20-30 mins max each day. Just me keeping it simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12