Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Iron--Huh?? page

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member

Low Iron--Huh??

I went to donate blood yesterday and when they did the anemia/iron test they said I couldn't donate. Cut off is 12.5 (what ever units they use) and I was 11 something. How can that be with this WOE? The huge majority of what I eat is either fish, chicken, beef and dark green veggies. Suggestions? Do I need to add a supplement, I really don't want to eat liver it makes me want to gag.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Focus more on the red meats than the others, add dark leafy greens if you haven't already, and add sources of vitamin C when you are eating iron rich foods (either via a supplement or actual foodstuffs - tomatoes are a fair option if you eat nightshades) as vitamin C helps you to absorb Iron. Nuts and seeds can also be rich in iron.

Worse comes to worse you might need to add an actual Iron supplement.

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Definitly could be the vitamin c, I try to not eat fruit much. Nightshades don't bother me, so I'll add more tomato--glad I've got some ready to produce in the back yard
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Get a cast iron pan as well.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I discovered that my iron was low a couple years ago the same way. This was before I started eating like I do now, but I don't think it would have made much difference. I think some people just use/store iron differently from others. I was donating blood pretty much as often as possible (~6x/year) for the previous 2 years. Turns out my ferritin (iron stores) was depleted. I stopped donating for a while and took some ferrous sulfate and everything went back to normal. You may just need to donate less frequently. I'm going to shoot for 2x/year when I become elligible again (travel restricitons currently).

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if my blood levels are low (I no longer feel anemic) but I was shocked on fitday to find I get less than half the RDA for iron when I eat almost a pound of red meat daily! I also eat a few tablespoons of liver daily. Makes me think about my veg*n days and how low I must have been back then. No wonder I was anemic my whole life!

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Blood sausage?

My iron is usually satisfactory to my doctor, but it has never been high enough to donate blood or plasma. Even with iron pills.
    Even as a kid mine was low. I'm also a bleeder and don't clot well, so maybe it's related.
    I can't even find a multivit with iron. They are all iron free! Even the ones for women. Seems strange.

Nothing beats red meat, but a spinach smoothie can be made tasty with some bluegreen algae and berries.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Grokker View Post
    Definitly could be the vitamin c, I try to not eat fruit much. Nightshades don't bother me, so I'll add more tomato--glad I've got some ready to produce in the back yard
    Lemons and Limes are good fruits to get vitamin C and not suck down all the associated fructose of Oranges and the like. Onions are another fair source. As are peppers, broccoli, cabbage, and spinach.

My wife is vegetarian and anemic.

*le sigh*

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    There are usually two sides to nutritional deficiencies. One side is what is ingested. The other is what is absorbed or eliminated. Usually iron deficiency in women who are not vegetarian has to do with heavy menstrual periods. If this applies to you, an iron supplement may be needed or something that addresses your cycle.

As for me, I love liver.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also if you have PCOS, chances are your body cannot absorb iron in pill form even if you take Vit C. I found this out the hard way and had to stop supping iron. Best thing to do is to get cast iron pans, eat more red meat, liver and leafy greens and take Vit C.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast