Thread: Poached eggs in tomato and coconut milk curry page

Thespianpythia is offline Junior Member

Poached eggs in tomato and coconut milk curry

Primal Fuel
    My boyfriend and I have been living Primally for about a month now, with great satisfaction, but this is my first time posting on the forums. He made this dish for breakfast this morning, and it was so good (and cheap, and easy) that I had to share it. It's a surprisingly rich dish, and will set you up for a long day, or can be eaten for lunch or dinner if you're not much of a "spicy things in the morning" person. This particular curry is a Sri Lankan recipe, and is adapted from a recipe in Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey cookbook.

Poached eggs in tomato and coconut milk curry (serves 4)

8 medium eggs
    2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1/4 tsp yellow mustard seeds
    1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 green cayenne chillis, finely chopped
    1 tsp powdered turmeric
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder*
    1 tsp Sri Lankan curry powder** or garam masala
    400g chopped tomatoes, fresh or from a tin
    200ml coconut milk
    2 tbsp almond meal (optional)

Heat the oil/ghee in a medium sized pan (at least 20cm diameter). Add the cumin, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and leave them to sizzle for a few seconds, then add the onion and fry over medium heat for a few mintues, until soft and just beginning to brown.

Add the green chilli, turmeric, chilli powder and tomatoes, and cook briefly until the tomatoes just begin to soften, then stir in the coconut milk (and almond meal, if using) and bring to a simmer. Simmer for several minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened somewhat. Season to taste with salt.

Make shallow indentations in the sauce mixture (if the sauce will not hold the depressions without filling back in, the mixture needs to be reduced a little more) and break the eggs into them. Cover the pan and simmer for six minutes, or to taste, if you like your eggs especially runny or firm.

Serve in bowls, and enjoy! This dish might also benefit from a sprinkling of fresh coriander (you call it cilantro Stateside, I believe) or chopped spring onions. Alternatively, if you're making it for dinner, it would probably go wonderfully over some roasted cauliflower.

* any moderately hot powdered chili will do
    ** if you like making your own spice blends, here is the mix we used for Sri Lankan curry powder below (it goes well in lots of dishes). If not, garam masala or another moderately "warming" spice blend should be fine.

Sri Lankan curry powder

1 tbsp uncooked long-grain or basmati rice
    50g coriander seeds
    25g cumin seeds
    25g fennel seeds
    7.5cm cinnamon stick
    1 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp cardamom seeds (from about 10 green pods)
    1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    3 dried red kashmiri chillies
    1 tsp ground turmeric

Heat a small frying pan on medium heat, add the uncooked rice and shake it around until it is lightly golden. Tip into a small bowl and leave to cool. Then mix with the spices, dried chillies and turmeric powder, and grind everything to a fine powder.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious. I will make for brunch this weekend.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

jpowell is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is a very tasty recipe. When I made it, I made the whole amount of sauce, poached 4 eggs in it and divided the whole lot between 2. There was almost too much food.