Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody stopped smoking? page

claude512 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, I will delete or change it if that is possible...

Actually my question is how many of you used to be smokers and stopped? How did you do it?

I am right now in my third attempt, first two times I tried with a little help (chewing gums, and then chantix), now I'm doing it cold turkey... Actually this method seems to work better for me (might be the better nutrition and more exercise play into it too, not sure)

Going on 4 weeks now, and still going strong (oh yes, there are cravings, but I am determined and positive enough to just make them go away)...

so anyway, let's hear your stories!

thanks,

Claude

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

I started smoking in my teens, but went cold turkey over twenty years ago when I came down with pneumonia. Never felt the urge since. So I can't say that giving up junk food helped me quit!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I gave up 14 years ago, when I started seeing my girlfriend (now wife). When we first got together, she had no idea I smoked and she mentioned that she didn't like it - so I gave up, overnight.

I'd already tried twice before.

Guess love is a better prescription than nicotine patches!

Well done, claude512. Going cold turkey worked best for me too.

Baglady is offline Junior Member

I have a year and a half under my belt now........this time I have finally quit for good. It was truely the hardest thing I ever did. i must have quit a dozen times. I used Chantix this time, I thought it made it so much easier.

Everytime you say no to the cravings it gets easier. Great job on saying no and keep up the good work!

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

KC
    KC is offline Junior Member

Hi claude512,

This may sound a little goofy, but I quit last year by reading a book called "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I thought I would never be able to quit and am still a little stunned that it worked as effectively as it did.

cody Guest

I quit cold turkey 10 years ago. I had had breast cancer twice. One day after having Chemo and no hair, I was standing in the garage having a cigarette and looking at it and thinking to myself. Well now I can start working on my lung cancer. I put the cigarette out threw the pack away and haven't smoked since. Good luck to you. It is well worth it.

mobious74 Guest

1st off, grats to anyone who has quit smoking...cause it's hard and it sucks. For me...I am now 4 weeks without a cigarette. I had tried several times in the past to quit using every known way to try; patch, gum, hypnosis, cold turkey, zyban...to no avail. I just wasn't ready...but I finally found the right 2 keys for me...and I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Here's what worked for me:

A healthy monetary commitment, and some good old competition!

Me and 5 of my smoking friends ponied up 200$ each and put it in a pool and last man standing gets it...1200$ would be nice!

The first two weeks were purely, "I'm not going to let Rich beat me!"

Then I started being able to smell other smokers and had the epiphany I needed to make it so I stay quit!

I have no desire to have a cigarette ever again based purely on the smell! But it started out because of some good competition.

Of our original 6, there are 3 of us left that aren't smoking still...we put the money in an ING account and it will collect interest for 5 years or if I beat the others out

So that's what I recommend! GO for the kill!

Good luck as well!

Mobious74

Theriomorphos Guest

Tried once when I was a teen due to my girlfriend's insistence....felt horrible and was immediately repelled by it. Three years later started it back while I was pursuing photography....continued for 3 months felt like trash stopped it again. 4-5 years later started it again due to work related stress ( an excuse ) continued for about 1 1/2 year. Decided to quit it once for all and finally did it. It's been 8 months now and haven't looked back since. I have no inclination to resort back to smoking.

Chunster495 is offline Member

Can not say enough about how effective "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking" is. I quit about 3 years ago and have never looked back... it was actually quite easy to quit after reading the book. I actually knew after I read the book that I would never be smoking again (quite different from my other attempts at cold turkey). If you haven't already, please do pick up a copy, or audio discs,... or a seminar of this method... it's about 70% effective... I know a lot of my personal friends who have quit with this as well... And unlike other traditional methods of quitting... it's not hard,.. it just makes sense,... even if you've quit cold turkey,.. it's a good read if you think you might ever go back to smoking or still get urges... I never get urges or think it even possible to smoke,..even after a night of drinking in a crowd of other smokers... no urges at all.

I will give the caveat that it doesn't work for everyone... but for the majority of people who actually want to quit and have an open mind, this book will do wonders.

rlb165 is offline Junior Member

Claude512,

Congratulations!!

Stories...? Hmmmm... I've "quit" using just about every method available. Finally, in May of this year, I QUIT, using Chantix. It definitely took away the urge to smoke, but I really struggled with depression and even suicidal thoughts for a while, even after I stopped taking it.

I'm back to "normal" now, and still have no urge to smoke.

GOOD LUCK!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast