Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb, High Protein slows tumor growth (Science daily) page

AdamZae is offline Junior Member

Low Carb, High Protein slows tumor growth (Science daily)

Primal Fuel
    Low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets may reduce both tumor growth rates and cancer risk

ScienceDaily (June 14, 2011) Eating a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet may reduce the risk of cancer and slow the growth of tumors already present, according to a study published in Cancer Research, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.

I was never keen on the idea of cancer fuckin me up so this is pretty good news.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty cool but I get discouraged every time I go to Sciencedaily.com and look at those articles. Tomorrow someone may post the exact opposite! Look at the related articles. It's like point-counterpoint. Yes, no, no, maybe, yes, yes.. It's a joke.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Actually, the exact opposite has been out there for a while as far as red meat and colon/prostate cancer is concerned. You just can't win.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    No, the red meat issue is about causing a mutation (and doesn't distinguish between steak and burgers). That is very different from feeding a tumor. Low carb is just starting to gain some traction as a cancer treatment. I have a family history that makes the ever popular 1-in-9 an "I wish" and I think this is a major, major thing... Aside from the passing out, it's one of the reasons I'm ultra low carb and trying to get my body fat down (at the end of the day, the #1 thing you can do to reduce risk is not be fat).

AdamZae is offline Junior Member
    @DFH yeah SD does tend to have a lot of science that has CW built into its assumptions, doesn't account for carb intake with its meat studies and/or doesn't differentiate between different quality meats. The meta studies and human testing usually the worst cause they rely on reporting and you know how poor the brain function of people who eat SAD is...

@john yeah most people still think meat gives you cancer. But in explaining to them that this isn't the case you can now refernce this article as one of the ones that tests meat IN THE ABSENCE OF CARBS (yay!) pretty much blowing the CW position out of the water.

@loafingcactus I think you're very right. Keep you immune system strong and your excess body fat down. It boggles the mind how many people would reather be fat and sick and just pray they don't get cancer instead of doing something to reduce their likelihood of getting it and increase their ability to fight it if they still do.

kenfuji is offline Member
    my girlfriend was telling me about this. She works for a cancer research company. she was very excited to see what she's been reading about primal is actually showing up in scientific studies. we still have a long way to go in educating people about C.W., but this is a great step in the right direction.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfuji View Post
    my girlfriend was telling me about this. She works for a cancer research company. she was very excited to see what she's been reading about primal is actually showing up in scientific studies. we still have a long way to go in educating people about C.W., but this is a great step in the right direction.
    Your girlfriend is extremely valuable and I hope she can do everything in her power to get this knowledge out there... Too many people think that cancer prevention is an annual mammogram. By the time you get the results back, it's too late to prevent cancer. The key to preventing cancer is not in doctors/medicine, it is in correlating lifestyle to known cancer causes. Too few people are willing to look at how to PREVENT cancer. Kudos to your girl, I hope she makes a big difference in a community that could really use a change in perspective.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    There could be several things going on. As the title says, it's not just low carb, of course, but high protein. Actually very high protein. 58% which sounds like "rabbit starvation" territory.

Over at the Daily Lipid, Chris Masterjohn, was taking apart T. Colin Campbell awhile back. Campbell had been busy saying that animal protein (and only protein from animals) can promote the growth of cancers. In fact, it turns out complete protein will do this (whatever it's provenance). Campbell had found that out but somehow forgot. That's one. Besides that, high protein diets help prevent the initiation of cancer (to be distinguished from promoting it once it's going). Campbell had found that out but somehow forgot. That's two. ...

The Curious Case of Campbell

Part of what Chris says:

The protective effect of protein during the initiation period is easy to explain, though experimental evidence would be needed to support this explanation. As I pointed out in my recent blog post, “The Biochemical Magic of Raw Milk and Other Raw Foods: Glutathione,” adequate protein is necessary to synthesize glutathione, the master antioxidant and detoxifier of the cell. In humans, the requirement appears to be about one gram of protein per kilogram of body weight, which is about 70 grams per day for someone who weighs 150 pounds.
    So I guess something like this may be going on as well as the denying glucose to the cancer cells that's commented on.

What the Science Daily report doesn't tell you is how the rats' diet was made up. These are likely refined foods—because that's cheaper. Chris also points out that high protein depletes vitamin A and possibly vitamin B6, which can cause problems and may have a role in cancer promotion. The answer, then, would be a non-refined diet—wholefoods—that supplies both:

High protein intakes mobilize vitamin A from the liver and increase its utilization and excretion (28). Some evidence also suggests that high-protein diets increase the requirement for vitamin B6 (29). When dietary protein comes from meat, especially from liver, it provides these and many other nutrients. Do these whole foods, providing protein together with its associated nutrients, promote cancer or protect against cancer?
    So lots possibly going on.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Highfive Lewis *highfives Lewis"

Lol Cambell. I have no doubt that cancer's proliferation is contingent upon the mTOR pathways and the driving amino acids. Once you already have cancer restricting various amino acids like methionine, cysteine, leucine et al will slow it, but protein protects against cancer in the feeding period. Big difference. We're all in the feeding period. I'm on somewhat of a lower protein diet than most around here right now, although I'm not worried one bit about getting cancer because like Lewis mentioned, these are usually junk diets paired with an obscene amount of carcinogens. Without that large carcinogen dose (I mean like unprotected industrial worker who smokes level of carcinogens) the main source of mutated cells comes from our own body;s processes and its copying errors. If inflammation and metabolic health are good (mine's great) and we are nutritionally sufficient (particularly vitamin d, but really everything) there isn't much of a risk. "Oh but stabby I know some old people who got cancer and they were healthy", look to the seed oils and wheat "products", look towards statin drugs and all sorts of horrible CW gems. There is also some emerging evidence for cancer caused by autoimmunity, possibly from lack of exposure to microorganisms in dirt or exposure to antibiotics, nasty stuff.

Anyway I don't want to say that diet and lifestyle will make someone cancer proof, but if you look at the evidence for nutritional roles in prevention it is prety encouraging.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-20-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Cancer isn't always "cancer". Often it is fungus. This has been documented over twenty years. If it is a "fungus cancer" then low carb will starve it.

Some links for other reading.

" Alternative Healthresources Cancer is a Fungus"

Possible New Cancer Treatment? Antifungal Drug Stops Blood Vessel Growth

New Discoveries in Cancer Treatments Offer More Options | DenyKurniawan.Net
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast