Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real life hunter gather tribe. page

elasee is offline Junior Member

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

[quote]

Onwas was interested in a picture of my cat. "How does it taste?" he asked</blockquote>

Man did I laugh when I read this!

I grok, therefore I am.

bobbylight Guest

"They are living a hunter-gatherer existence that is little changed from 10,000 years ago. "

This guy is obviously not an anthropologist. From what I hear this assumption of these tribes being the same

(or almost the same) as they were in ancient times is asinine. Personally, I don&#39;t know much about it, but that is what I have heard.

lol, it is safe to say that the writer wasn&#39;t thinking too much when he said the above statement about little change, when this is just a paragraph or two away:

"He is wearing tire-tread sandals and tattered brown shorts. A hunting knife is strapped to his hip, in a sheath made of dik-dik hide. He&#39;s removed his shirt, as have most of the other men, because he wants to blend into the night."

That doesn&#39;t sound too much like Grok, does it?

claude512 is offline Senior Member

Bobby, I seriously wonder if there is anything on this life that you actually agree with...

I liked the article, especially the bit of the society being loosely organized, with no strict hierarchy, commander, or roles... kinda makes one think about our perception of civilization that we always need clear cut leaders etc

dixonge is offline Junior Member

Bobby, yes it sounds *exactly* like Grok, if he still existed today. The author said that their &#39;existence&#39; was little changed, not their clothing style.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Fascinating read.

Of course, bl just blew right over - if he went past the beginning at all: "Time has not stood still for them. But they have maintained their foraging lifestyle in spite of long exposure to surrounding agriculturalist groups, and, says Marlowe, it&#39;s possible that their lives have changed very little over the ages."

What struck me is the combination of Ayn Rand - the individual can mostly do what he/she wants - and Hillary Clinton - it indeed takes a village for survival. Probably not exactly the same for all HG&#39;s, but interesting.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I thought the article was a fantastic read.

The idea of no social expectations (long drawn out goodbyes, burials, etc...) is incredibly appealing.

Also, the absence of &#39;time&#39; for them is something that most of us long for. After the son waited for the journalist near the tree, he said that he wasn&#39;t waiting too long...just a few days! If only we had such a relaxed view of time the way they do.

I grok, therefore I am.

bobbylight Guest

lol, OTB, I only got through the first paragraph or so. Anyway, it is short sighted to suggest that these people live in a very similar way than how they lived 10,000 years ago. Just an assumption based on nothing

claude512 is offline Senior Member

well, doesn&#39;t that make you a hipocrite (sp?) if you don&#39;t read the article but say that it is shortsighted? How about making an assumption of the content of the article, based on not reading it?

I know, I shouldn&#39;t feed the trolls

I would post a receipe, but I find the article too much of interest to stop the thread right here :-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

No, bl, it is not based on "nothing."

Obviously, clothing and knives are recent additions to their lives, but in all likelihood they have been living like this for many thousands of years. Within a framework of some variation, this describes how every other HG tribe has been described in the last hundred years.

How else before now? Growing grains?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast