Thread: Can you overdose on Vitamin A from food? page

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member

Can you overdose on Vitamin A from food?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I love beef liver (have it once a week, 8 ounce), sweet potatoes (orange and white varieties; have one every day) carrots, squashes, etc. However, all those foods have a significant amount of vitamin A (especially beta-carotene). It is possible to overdose on this vitamin from food sources? I heard that a overdose is only a concern when it comes to supplement use.

Thanks,

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It is impossible to get too much beta carotene. It is possible to get too much retinol , although vitamin D prevents toxicity. Make sure your levels are good.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

Risto is offline Senior Member
    I love carrots, so I tend to eat a lot of them. I noticed a while ago that when I ate a lot of carrots my fingers turned into orange color. When I stopped eating them, this went away. However, I've begun eating a lot of carrots again and last week I actually ate pig liver every single day as well as more than 5 carrots every day. I haven't noticed any adverse effects and my fingers don't seem to be orange-colored either.

How do you understand if you have overdosed on Vitamin A?

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    When I went to PT the other day my physical therapist asked me if I've been eating a lot of food with vitamin A in it... I was somewhat surprised and asked how she knew. She said it was because the palms of my hands and soles of my feet were orange

So you might have that to look forward to!

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    There was a study that showed people liked the slight tan that hypercarotenemia produces.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

wozz is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hypervitaminosis A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like you should stay away from livers of carnivorous animals: polar bear, seal, walrus, dogs, cats, etc.