Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Appeal to the Down Under Mates : 'Roo Recipes? page

Paleobird Guest

An Appeal to the Down Under Mates : 'Roo Recipes?

Primal Fuel
    I bought a bunch of kangaroo online and I really like it. It's very lean and intensely "meaty" like venison. (Really high protein content too.) I have a freezer full of loins, rump steak, and ground 'roo and am hoping to shake loose a few new ideas and favorite recipes from the land of Oz.

siouxie84 is offline Member
    I love the marinated kangaroo steaks from woolworths - what website did you get yours from?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Where did you find kangaroo online??
    I want some!!

Paleobird Guest
    Kangaroo Meat in the US | Marx Foods

It's a tad pricy but very tasty.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    roo meat can be tricky sometimes. Just remember to either cook it Hot and Fast, or Slow and Low.
    If you can get smoked roo then that goes nice with a creamy sauce.
    You could also team it up with some emu meat and have the classic Aussie 'Coat of Arms' meal!!
    Nice peppery side salad...mmmm.... crank up the bbq!!

Isis is offline Senior Member
    I always buy roo mince, I love making patties for a quick lunch or dinner. I'll grab a huge handful of mince, whack it into a bowl, add an egg and some herbs/spices, and cook it in my small bessemer pan with the lid on on the stove top.

have also used roo mince for meatballs in curry sauce like rendang or rogan josh.
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

peril is offline Senior Member
    Bought some loin last weekend. A cheaper cut so I went for a curry. All measures inexact as I went sans recipe.

Blended a couple of onions, three cloves of garlic, a chilli (feel free to go hotter - my wife doesn't like it hot), and a few small knobs of fresh turmeric (add some water to facilitate blending). Fry in a generous splash of virgin coconut oil, adding some ground lemongrass and galangal as you go (fresh would have been better). Stir often to prevent it sticking and burning. When coloured and fragrant and sizzling, add very roughly chopped roo loin and stir till coloured. Add water to almost cover, bring to boil then simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. Check every now and again to make sure it hasn't boiled dry. Should end up with a thick sauce with the oil beginning to separate. Meat pulled apart and had a very mild flavour. Gravy had a mild rendang flavour. Smiles all around. I served it with a green salad and rice for the family. Roast vegies would have gone well
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ehmpee143 is offline Junior Member
    oh its cool. hi i`m ehmpee. i really love surfing. its great hobbies..

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Cook it like venison, it's super lean.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

atestforecho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I bought a bunch of kangaroo online and I really like it. It's very lean and intensely "meaty" like venison. (Really high protein content too.) I have a freezer full of loins, rump steak, and ground 'roo and am hoping to shake loose a few new ideas and favorite recipes from the land of Oz.
    That is awesome! Can you share the website where you bought it? I'm thinking about trying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast