atestforecho is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Kangaroo Meat in the US | Marx Foods

It's a tad pricy but very tasty.
    Just saw this... nevermind the prior post

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by almostGrok'd View Post
    roo meat can be tricky sometimes. Just remember to either cook it Hot and Fast, or Slow and Low.
    If you can get smoked roo then that goes nice with a creamy sauce.
    You could also team it up with some emu meat and have the classic Aussie 'Coat of Arms' meal!!
    Nice peppery side salad...mmmm.... crank up the bbq!!
    Good advice, thank you. We actually have some ostrich and emu farms here in San Diego county. The climate here is very similar to Australia so I guess they feel at home.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I always buy roo mince, I love making patties for a quick lunch or dinner. I'll grab a huge handful of mince, whack it into a bowl, add an egg and some herbs/spices, and cook it in my small bessemer pan with the lid on on the stove top.

have also used roo mince for meatballs in curry sauce like rendang or rogan josh.
    Oooh that sounds good too. I made some of the mince into balls with a Moroccan hot sauce the other night. It seems to go well with intense spices.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Bought some loin last weekend. A cheaper cut so I went for a curry. All measures inexact as I went sans recipe.

Blended a couple of onions, three cloves of garlic, a chilli (feel free to go hotter - my wife doesn't like it hot), and a few small knobs of fresh turmeric (add some water to facilitate blending). Fry in a generous splash of virgin coconut oil, adding some ground lemongrass and galangal as you go (fresh would have been better). Stir often to prevent it sticking and burning. When coloured and fragrant and sizzling, add very roughly chopped roo loin and stir till coloured. Add water to almost cover, bring to boil then simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. Check every now and again to make sure it hasn't boiled dry. Should end up with a thick sauce with the oil beginning to separate. Meat pulled apart and had a very mild flavour. Gravy had a mild rendang flavour. Smiles all around. I served it with a green salad and rice for the family. Roast vegies would have gone well
    I love hot chili peppers. This is definitely going in my recipe book. Thanks Peril.

datto54 is offline Member
    I chuck 500 grams of mince roo in with 500 grams of another mince meat, sometime pork, or chicken or turkey, and make a bolognaise sauce out of it. YUM!!!

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    We just had kangaroo for the first time last night. I made it into meatballs (with hidden veg) and servered with a tomato based sauce. They were very yummy. No one even picked we were eating skippy!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Cook it quick and hot otherwise it turns out like leather.... Taste good if done right.... Some even slow boil it in a pot of water then sear it for 3 mins each side and its lovely like that with a good sauce.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12