Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal in a non primal world? page 3

missalex Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I thought I was the only one!

I've found I have become so disillusioned with everything since exploring the primal side of life.

I was either a vegan or vegetarian for 15 years of my life. Considering I'm just shy of 20 that seems like forever to me. I was soooooo dogmatic about it too. I was disgusting. I was also the empress of cardio. I would do it 2-3 hours every day. And if I didn't I would freak out about getting fat and ugly and whatever.

There are so many times where I'm sitting in the student union building in school, listening to people's conversations (they talk loud, I can't help it!) and it's just really sad. All they talk about drinking/sex/partying/boyfriends/girlfriends/whatever. And I've finally realized, I. DON'T. CARE. what does all this self created dramatics really accomplish? It drives me nuts. I feel like I can't really connect with anyone at school since I don't understand how that's all they can focus on. I've sometimes wished I could be an idiot since they seem to go through life relatively peacefully.

It's reassuring that at least if I'm crazy, there are others like me.

bobbylight Guest

Honestly, I have come to similar conclusions but I believe I would fully be in the world of western culture if it wasn't for weed and psychedelics. I find that a quarter ounce of mushrooms can really put things into perspective.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Now I'm going to cross threads. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...r-gather-tribe.

So the article in the first post on that thread is about a present day hunter gatherer tribe in Tanzania - the kind of diet that we here ascribe to. What I found interesting was that even though these people had much free time, they did not seem to worry about the kind of thing that we're talking about here in this thread. They don't seem to think about "What's after this life?" other than their existence. So, what I think of as being aware/present does not seem to be anywhere near their thoughts...they seem to just exist. What if we needed to get as bad as we have as a homeo sapiens so that we could become aware? We thought things needed to be so complicated just so we could come to this line of thinking that many of us are thinking in this thread. I suppose I could go on...but I feel like haven't gotten my thoughts together well enough. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Niklas Guest

|This topic so much reminds me of people that I've known that "got" religion. The similarities are striking|

With the difference that religion, like other ideologies, is a narrow thought system and a dogma that can easily lead to repression, narrow worldview and indocrination while the realization of the need to not be dominated by ideologies and to be open to critical thinking, paradigm shifts and to be liberated from mind control, making people realize that they're freerer than they thought and they have a right to express their potential fully not to act according to the limited dehumanizing role imposed on them by conditioning (to which every human naturally rebel, until the conditioning and conforming power gets too strong and they give up), is actually the opposite.

There's an interesting fact that those sociologists studying civil liberties have discovered: people who are being discriminated, manipulated, enslaved and exploited are almost never aware of it. They take their condition for granted, they think to deserve all the negative that happens to them and they're actually grateful to their slavers for caring about them. Only a minority of black slaves had enough awareness to join the liberation movememt and fight for their rights, the majority defended their condition as "natural", accepted their inferiority as "inbred" and viewed their slavers as their "protectors". The same pattern has been observed with women when they didn't even have the right to read a book, with the servants of monarchs, with the victims of colonialism or primitive tribes dominated by western settlers.

In Guinea Bissau and other african regions a bigger problem than people dying, having no rights, working like slaves for someone else interested, being kept ignorant to prevent them from being empowered was to convince those people that they were being victims of a capitalist system and they had inalienable rights and deserved a better life.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

"Diana, I am somewhat curious as to what you mean by pagan? I was under the impression that it was kind of like a blanket statement for polytheism. Is it an ancient form of polytheism? "

Basically, yes. I am Pagan, and more specifically Religio Romana... but that's splitting hairs. (Though I'd rather split hares.) Anyways, I use the term Pagan because it's easily recognized, where as "Religio Romana" isn't.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Terrence McKenna's "stoned ape" theory suggests humans became human - gained language, culture, spirituality - when we began following grass-eating ungulates and eating the psychotropic fungus that grew in their droppings. Interesting theory.

For the most part, ancient spirituality revolved (and, in some cases, revolves) around the use of sacred plants.

Niklas Guest

Today I met the umpteenth 50 years old with a life crisis. Now that the son and daughter are in college or living in an apartment with their friends, they suddenly feel useless without anything to do in their free time. They devoted their life to being "oppressive" parents and to feel fulfilled with their limited role in a limited community (just thinking about it makes me claustrophobic) and suddenly they realize there's actually not much in their life until all the surrogates disappear and display the misery of their existence for what it really is.

I was just thinking that if these people had opened their mind, explored other ways to live in this planet, embraced varied forms of creativity and socialization, cultivated their intellenct and adopted a multi-cultural perspective, they might be too occupied with playing music on an instrument, organize local theater shows, travel around the state, socialize with the esperanto community, paint on canvases, take pics of the beauty in the world around them, studying for vocational schools, taking cooking classes, studying philosophy (the idea that kids need to study and adults don't is ridicolous, adults if nothing need education and school more than kids in order to maintain an efficient non-atrophied mind seeing as semi-pathological closed mindedness is their prerogative) they wouldn't be wasting their time with an existential crisis. They probably would have been less of pain as parents as well.

I read something thought provoking: the secret to be young forever is to do in later age what you used to do and love at a younger age; i.e. find things you like and maintain your involvement with them rather than burning yourself with age-targeted recreations.

I hate the term "getting your head together" which usually is a suggestion to become an apathetic passionless, boring larvae after few years of brainless destructive recreations. From one excess to another: how to get old (expecially mentally) very soon.

bobbylight Guest

erik, I didn't think anyone would bring up terrance mckenna on this board. I knew this kid a few years ago that was kind of a dorky kid in his first year of college (as was I at the time) and he had never smoked weed or done drugs. Maybe he drank a little, but definitely not often. He just seemed like the smart listen to his parents type (not that there is anything wrong with that). Anyway, he listened to mudvayne and apparently terrance mckenna sound clips were in some of the songs. So he looked them up and got interested in it and asked me and my friend to do some mushrooms with him, because we were experienced (we knew him through my friend's roommate). Anyway, it was pretty fun...I remember at one point he was kind of bugging out but he was alright.

Anyway, one time I got a terrence mckenna book out of the library at my school and after reading 40 pages it prompted me to eat a quarter ounce. THAT was a fun time.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@ Diana - you need to check out When The Drummers Were Women by Layne Redmond. Very interesting, especially if you've ever had a very visceral experience with drumming. It explains alot. Easy read, too & lots of great goddess drawings.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I added it to my book list. Thank you! I've been feeling so spiritually lonely lately. I've even thought about going to a Unitarian Universalist church for some community.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast