Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal in a non primal world? page 2

Griff is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Niklas, sounds like you've discovered the utter banality of popular culture. It's a shock, isn't it? As a sociologist, I encounter this daily.

The best you can do is create an oasis for yourself where you don't have to deal with that stuff. We have a television and it's rarely, if ever, on. We keep it mostly for the kids to use when they bring over their Wii, and as a monitor for DVDs. I don't read a newspaper; I get what I need off of the Net, mostly. It's just not worth wasting my time trying to wade through the pundits and the talking heads anymore. And isn't what we're doing here on MDA part of that disconnection from popular culture? If CW isn't a prime example of popular culture, what is?

I'd agree with Catalina that the world needs more people who are aware. Sorry that it's hard to swallow the red pill, but you'll come out the other side better for it.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

It sounds odd but I've always felt more of a spectator than an actor.... like through school, not seeing why girls were so wound up about who fancied who and what they'd said in Maths class.... like recently, not getting the fascination with Big Brother etc etc. Or the bane of my life - the soaps!

ChristopherPlank Guest

It's an interesting question, and something that's definitely worth examining.

As humans living in the modern age, we have the freedom to do almost anything we want. In a situation where we don't have to worry too much about where our next meal is coming from, it becomes a question of "What IS our life supposed to be?"

In Grok's time, the meaning of life was simply to survive and procreate... but that's pretty easy in our "first world" developed civilizations.

Beyond survival, is one course of action any "better" than another? One person might try to climb the corporate ladder and spend their free time sitting in front of the TV, while someone else might be getting in touch with nature or meditating or trying to help others. Is one inherently better or worse than the other? It's hard to say.

Does our life have any meaning beyond survival? And what about those of us who decide they don't want to reproduce? What is life then?

one_eye_mike Guest

Sounds like you've been smoking some serious weed.

Niklas Guest

@Plank

I don't criticize individuals who choose to live what I would consider a banal existence. If what they want is watching television all day, so be it. But that's not what I was talking about, as others have guessed.

My problem is with a banal narrow-minded culture that brainwashes people (through institutions, school, government...) to the point that they don't even know there are different ways to be in the world (something which is instinctive in humans, expecially in primitive ones: exploring new ways to be in the world)

A choice is a choice only if you're informed about the alternatives and equally assisted whatever your choice is. If a group of blindfolded people is carried to an underground room and they're told that the world has been destroyed by a nuclear weapon and they can't go out without deadly polluting their organism, would you consider their decision to stay in the room a "true personal choice"?

We don't have freedom in the modern world, it's just an illusion as dozen of philosophers and sociologists have stated. The only reason we don't call the modern life "dictatorship", it's because dictatorship became smart enough to employ more subtle ways to dominate and dumb down people making them self-discipliners according to the will of the system. Violent and frank "dictatorship" just wasn't working anymore as people learned to rebel. According to some, life is worse now because at least in the past we could recognize the tyrants and would be united in fighting them.

I doubt Grok cared only for survival. The oldest musical instrument found intact is a Neaderthal flute.

This means Grok wanted to survive because he had interests in life: music, art, exploration, play, friendship... Diamond observed modern primitive societies unaware of the modern world and found more sense of humor, of leisure time, of creativity, of immagination, of hedonism in them than in our workcoholic modern culture.

Repression is the problem (and according to few cognitive researchers the cause of all discontent) and a repressed potential is worse than a naturally small potential. When I see how militant traditionalism atrophies people's mind, narrowing their mind potential to the acceptance of a couple of flawed ideologies created to manipulate them and those around them, what I see is repression and dehumanization.

pk Guest

Getting healthy is empowering. It provides confidence. It is nice knowing you can take control of your life; however it also becomes very easy to judge the others that do not. Live and let live, baby!

-pk

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Sounds like the truth seeker. Everyone is playing a game that isn't the truth. When someone starts looking for it and doesn't want to play the game anymore, the instigators try to drown that person out. However, what happens if a piece of truth gets put into the game? Is it still the truth, or does it become part of the lie?

Acmebike is offline Member

That's it, I'm renting "The Matrix" for another viewing. I've got the same thing going on. Feel like I've got some sort of very blindingly-bright-light secret (NOT a dark secret) inside as I walk amongst regular folks. Muggles.

one_eye_mike Guest

This topic so much reminds me of people that I've known that "got" religion. The similarities are striking.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

http://www.watch-movies-online.tv/

I'm sure you could find a link there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast