Thread: Alder nuts. No nutrition info around the web! page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Alder nuts. No nutrition info around the web!

Primal Fuel
    So my area is totally stocked with easily harvested alder nuts, but I was hoping for nutrition info. They're just tiny tree seeds from a deciduous conifer that you can shake out of the cone, sort of like pine nuts. But for some reason I don't see any info on their content. Anybody studied tree nuts or have a link to that info?

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    no clue, but if you like them, then I say eat them and don't worry about it. To me harvesting nuts from the local area seems as primal as it gets.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    So my area is totally stocked with easily harvested alder nuts, but I was hoping for nutrition info. They're just tiny tree seeds from a deciduous conifer that you can shake out of the cone, sort of like pine nuts. But for some reason I don't see any info on their content. Anybody studied tree nuts or have a link to that info?
    send me some i want to try them :-)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I did some searching.. everything I found mentions eating them for survival purposes, at which point the nutrition information isn't terribly important. =]

Here's one page about them: A Note on Eating Alder Catkins It talks about nutrition information for pollen, since he refers to eating the cone whole, but no nutrition information for just the seeds.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, those are all I've found on my own so far, too. But thanks for checking it out as well! I think I'll gather a bowl full and try a few different ways of eating them. I'm thinking steamed will be great, but I can probably eat them raw, too. Then again, I can eat extremely bitter things while smiling, so it might not be for everyone.