Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move Frequently at a Slow Pace (stumbling beginner) page

pmiker is offline Junior Member

Move Frequently at a Slow Pace (stumbling beginner)

Shop Now
    I have tried and tried and I just cannot do this. I've read the advice before, bought the HRM and tried it and it did not work. I tried again today following advice in the PF book and it still does not work. There is no way that I can go slow enough on a bicycle, short of walking it, to go as slow as the recommendations.

My max heartrate is set at 198 in my HRM. I arrived at this number via a couple of tests in the booklet that came with the monitor. I am 56 years old and a bit heavy in the middle. To get 55% - 75% I set up a zone from 104 to 142 bpm. I then did a 32 mile easy bike ride this morning. The average heart rate at about 3 hours was 147 bpm. On hills, against a strong headwind, in a granny gear, doing about 7-8 mph, my heart was doing 165 bpm. My high on today's easy ride was 175 bpm. For the 3 hour ride I managed to stay 'in zone' for about 1 hour. The other two hours I was going too hard. Heck, I even coasted to try to get the heart rate back down.

I have never used the granny gears as much as I did today. Granted, I am not a fast cyclist, I average about 13-14 mph, I just managed over 10 mph for the 3 hour, 32 mile ride. Yes, my bike has 3 chainrings so I can take hills easy.

For breakfast I ate 2 breakfast sausages, a few almonds, one cup of coffee and a bit of orange juice. I drank only water during the ride. It was windy and in the 90's. I kept the gears low and my spinning high. At the end of the ride my stomach ached a bit and my calves were a bit sore and I was tired but ok. I drank a bit of orange juice and ate an apple. Then I napped for 2 hours. Afterwards I had a lunch of some left over brisket and ice tea.

I have not eaten bread in several days. I'm trying to get the body converted to running on fat. But I just cannot seem to go slow enough. At least not by what the HRM tells me. BTW, it also said I burned 2336 calories. Perhaps that explains the empty feeling in my stomach.

The HRM is going back in the box until I can be convinced there is way to use it successfully.

BTW, I have signed up for a 100 mile ride in October. I cannot do that one at 10mph so I have to increase endurance, speed and find a way to do this on a primal diet. No more 'Breakfast of Champions' to fuel me.
    Mike
    Last edited by pmiker; 06-14-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typos & extra note

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about the HRM. Just get outside and ride! Enjoy the sun, enjoy the fresh air, and enjoy your body moving! Too easy to get caught up in all the numbers and stuff. Just get outside and move!!

davem is offline Senior Member
    Get outside and move for sure. HRMs are tech, and tech quality generally dictates price, I hope you got a good monitor.

That said, bring it down a little if you're trying to stay in a specific zone, obviously. Since you're training for something though, have at it. You won't be training for the rest of your life, and a little bit of working hard won't kill you. I think though, and smarter minds may have other to say, but if you're out getting it done, and you've got a goal you're going towards, get it done.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    OK, I'm going to disagree with folks a bit here because I DON'T LIKE WHAT I HEAR YOU SAYING!

You said you are 56 and a bit overweight, but you set you maximum heart rate to 198. Using the old standard of (220-age) your max would be 164. A slightly more modern technique I found on Wikipedia gave me 167. Either way, 198 as a max should be way too high for your age and weight. Your HRM showed heart rates as high as 175 bpm on an "easy ride", which is well above what I calculated to be your max OK HR.

These numbers indicate to me that either something is wrong with the monitor OR you are operating in a zone that may be a real health risk.

Other folks... am I doing something wrong here? These numbers all look way off the mark to me and potentially dangerous. Chime in everyone!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I run high. When I was in a thin phase and doing half marathons my friends were sure I was going to drop dead because I would finish with an average heart rate in the 180s (age is early 30s) I looked into it, and I've had several ECGs because of my hypoglycemia (everyone seems to think I'm about to die...). People vary. Long exercise at a high heart rate won't kill you. Even Mark wrote something about the fun of athletic events being something against PB but something he recognized that people want to do.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    "Move frequently at a slow pace" means lots of walking, pmiker.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I run high. When I was in a thin phase and doing half marathons my friends were sure I was going to drop dead because I would finish with an average heart rate in the 180s (age is early 30s) I looked into it, and I've had several ECGs because of my hypoglycemia (everyone seems to think I'm about to die...). People vary. Long exercise at a high heart rate won't kill you. Even Mark wrote something about the fun of athletic events being something against PB but something he recognized that people want to do.
    What concerns me is that he is reporting unusually high heart rates at very moderate activity levels. I think either the monitor is bad or he should do like you did and have it checked out. People do vary, but the huge majority of healthy individuals won't show heart rates nearly that high.

pmiker: What does the monitor indicate your resting heart rate to be?
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

pmiker is offline Junior Member
    My resting rate is about 58-60 bpm. I have had my rate up to 185 on two different monitors. Granted, I hurt at that rate but I can push it that high and probably a bit higher. I have a Timex zone watch/hrm. I did two tests and averaged the results to get 198. My heart spins up fast and back down fast.
    I have not had any type of physical in at least 8 years. Yeah, I know, I'm asking for it. Last night I noticed one knee was a bit swollen so I'm off the bike today. No pain, just fluid buildup and no doctor.

Oh, by a bit overweight, I'd like to lose about 8-10 lbs around the middle. Most folks think I'm crazy but they haven't seen me with my shirt off. I've heard that ab fat is the worst type.

I need to do a 40-45 miler this weekend. I'll hope for less wind and I'll really try to go slower.
    Mike

wozz is offline Junior Member
    It may just take some time for your body to adjust to cycling so that it's efficient enough to keep your HR low. As you continue to do the cycling, you should see your avg HR go down with the same power output.

It's the same as walking. I know plenty of people that would have an elevated HR from walking less than a mile, but if you do it every day, it doesn't take long before your body adjusts to it.

Neiby is offline Junior Member
    Dang, 185? I don't think I'm physically capable of getting mine that high. I would pass out first, or my muscles would be too tired to sustain the level of activity required to get there. Then again, I don't have a heartrate monitor when I'm out on my bike, so maybe it's higher than I think it is. I'm only up to about 20 mile rides, though. No way could I do 32 yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast