Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting goals? page

TheBaconWife is offline Junior Member

Shifting goals?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! So, I've been on a weight-loss journey since November of last year. It was pretty miserable until I found the primal way of life and shifted the way I approached diet and exercise. For those of you who are at/close to your goals, my question is this: did you find your goals shifting as you went along?

I ask because I started out at 260 and wanted to get down to 164, which is what I weighed in HS and college. That for me (I'm a lady) is a size 12. Or was. Now that I am replacing fat with muscle instead of just being skinny-fat, it seems to me that the new 164 for me might be a 10 or even an 8. Which, as a strapping brickhouse of a lass, wasn't my original goal at all. And now I don't really know WHAT I'm shooting for anymore.

So... did you guys throw out your scales and go by pants size? Did you throw out "goal size/goal weight" entirely and just let your body heal and normalize? Do tell- I'm curious to hear what yall have to say.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, my goals have changed. I started the Primal lifestyle to Heal my body. Now that I am healthier my goal is to be strong.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    My original goal was #175, but I am beginning to think waist circumference or clothing size would be more helpful. #173 will put me in the "normal" BMI range.

So right now I am breaking it down to short term goals: a waist circumference of less than 35" (currently 36") and hitting an exercise quota of 6 days a week for at least 15 minutes. I'm in the process of establishing lifetime habits here, and i've been down the failure road too many times due to setting overly ambitious goals.

How do you feel and how close are you to your original goal?
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I am very close to my original weight goal (within 3 pounds or so), and have been sitting here for quite some time, although my body continues to change shape. I have given up on scale weight completely because I've finally seen for myself that it really doesn't matter. Now I just have a few of specific physique-based goals that I am trying to attain. For me they are a flat lower belly (which I've never had), a more defined collar bone (I just think that's sexy) and "back dimples". Doesn't matter if I weigh 128 (which was my goal) or go up to 135 - if I can get those three things I'll be one happy chick!

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    When I started changing things my goal was to get from 280 to 200lbs because there is no way I could ever go under 200lbs that would have been impossible. It was impossible when I was CW dieting and running 40 miles a week. I hit 200lbs but my body composition was horrible and I couldn't budge the scale or the tape measure. I went PB and weight started dropping off but the inches were dropping off faster. Now I am at 180lbs but more importantly I keep losing inches. Last year I lost 4lbs but I lost 1.5 inches off my waist. It made no sense to my brain that was still trying to convert CW numbers. Now my goals have gone away from weight and to body composition. Basically if you had asked me 2 years ago what it would take for me to have a 6 pack I would have told you liposuction. When you start accomplishing the impossible then the sky is the limit.

minol is offline Junior Member
    Moving the goalposts (or shifting the goalposts) is an expression meaning changing the target of a process or competition by one side in order to gain advantage...This phrase is a straightforward derivation from sports that use goalposts, such as football. The figurative use alludes to the perceived unfairness in changing the goal one is trying to achieve after the process one is engaged in has already started. The phrase came into wide use in the UK during the 1980s. The first known attested use is in 1987...the organizational community expands and creates growth for the organization and the individuals within the organizational community, the importance of the stated purpose and organizational guiding principles are key in continuing to support belief systems and sustainability. Creating the space and opportunities to discuss, learn and understand how changes in circumstances are addressed and met through the organizational culture, common language and guiding principles is key in supporting ongoing commitment, passion and purpose. What this means, stated differently, is that the changes need to be discussed and dealt with in the context of the organizational culture and guiding principles.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minol View Post
    Moving the goalposts (or shifting the goalposts) is an expression meaning changing the target of a process or competition by one side in order to gain advantage...This phrase is a straightforward derivation from sports that use goalposts, such as football. The figurative use alludes to the perceived unfairness in changing the goal one is trying to achieve after the process one is engaged in has already started. The phrase came into wide use in the UK during the 1980s. The first known attested use is in 1987...the organizational community expands and creates growth for the organization and the individuals within the organizational community, the importance of the stated purpose and organizational guiding principles are key in continuing to support belief systems and sustainability. Creating the space and opportunities to discuss, learn and understand how changes in circumstances are addressed and met through the organizational culture, common language and guiding principles is key in supporting ongoing commitment, passion and purpose. What this means, stated differently, is that the changes need to be discussed and dealt with in the context of the organizational culture and guiding principles.
    interesting spambot....

My goals were to get healthy. I guess I still want to continue to get healthier - although I am far further along than I was when I started. Other goals? Increase energy level, better muscle mass, stabilize my weight - I am still losing but getting to the point that I won't want to pretty soon, get stronger, and learn more about what is right for my body.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When I started PB I really hoped to be able to walk without a limp, reduce joint swelling, and I was hoping that as a side effect "might" be able to lose 10-20 lbs. That was over 50 lbs ago

Now my goals are more about adding in organ meats, getting the best nutrition possible, improving energy levels, and adding muscle. It is very bizarre to not have weight loss on my "to do" list.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do think you lose fat differently eating Primal. I know I have a "sort of" weigh goal in mind, what I weighed back 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm thinking it won't look the same as it did then. And that's fine. I'm not tied to that particular number anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, my goals have shifted big time! The goalposts have moved so much that they ain't even in the football stadium anymore. I'm not even the same person. Primal has a way of bringing out the best in people. It's so much more than just a way to eat.

My original goal was to be able to walk to my mailbox. Now my goal is to be in the best shape of my life (at 42!), to be the best possible ME, body, mind, and soul, and to have the courage to be able to live up to the full potential that God has given me.

BTW, my body composition and weight/pants size are quite different eating this way than at any other time before. I weigh a lot more than what my pants size would belie. Def. just go by your pants size. Throw that dumb scale away.

"Beauty, beauty, don't be afraid to face the world."
    Last edited by TigerLily; 08-06-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast