Thread: Elliptical question page

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member

Elliptical question

Shop Now
    I just started using one and it kicks my butt even at 5 minutes! I can walk for an hour and do 45 minute workouts, but step on an elliptical and I'm huffing and puffing in 5 minutes. So the first week I've been doing it in 5 minute intervals, resting between.
    Who else uses one? Did you have to build up your endurance level on it?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I can't stand them- the motion feels really really unnatural to me. My stride doesn't feel right, the handlebars don't actually move the way my arms want to... They are like treadmills, but worse.

However, if it works for you, great! A more natural primal workout would be stairs or hills, but that's not available to everyone all the time.

I got one for my birthday and had the same problem. One minute on that thing and I was dead. I worked up to 3 minutes at one point. I have not used it for awhile. I suggest if you want to keep doing it working up a minute longer every couple days.

jswanz1 is offline Member
    I used to see this a lot when i was still training clients in a health club. Consider that walking is one of the most biomechanically efficient movements we perform as humans...and then compare that to the totally inefficient movement that is the elliptical. There is absolutely no doubt they can provide an awesome workout though. Just keep rolling with it and you'll get better at it...just like any other movement

busymom is offline Junior Member
    I use one without the arms because I'm just not coordinated enough LOL- just play with the incline and resistance and your pace and build as you can. I can actually kick a$$ on the eliptical at a level I can't on foot. Keep at it- it's fun once you get the hang of it!

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    When I was in college I used to do hour long elliptical rides. I would increase the resistance almost all the way up and go relatively slow. Looking back it kind of sucked. I was addicted to cardio. Those were my college days where all I ate was pizza, chipotle, and mountain dew. I'm sure the Elliptical wouldn't be that bad if you did it every now and then at a slow pace, but I haven't touched it in a while.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    TerpsPwn, I totally understand that. For about a year or two I was a chronic cardio addict myself and the elliptical was my drug of choice. I agree with your sentiments about doing the elliptical now and then if it's raining outside or walking is bothersome for you. But those who have read the book know to avoid chronic cardio and replace it with play/moving often at a slow pace. It's easier than getting to the gym for 45 minutes and struggling with a stupid machine. I can't recommend wasting time on an elliptical. I know this doesn't answer the OP's question but I have to look at this from the PB way of living...

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I recently realized that the reason I was avoiding the gym and my first love, walking, was because I have a lot of reading I want to do. Elliptical, book, moderate pace... Beats the couch! But I do think it yanks the joints a bit and isn't the same as walking in ground (but probably somewhat equal to walking on a dreadmill. And yes, the first time I got on one I could only go a couple of minutes. Now I can just read my book and be happy.

Raen is offline Member
    Different ellipticals have very different ranges of movement, though. Cheap ones tend to feel very jerky and unnatural, but high-end ones are fun to use. It's my favorite piece of cardio gym equipment, although I never go to the gym anymore.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I hate the elliptical with a passion. I'd rather do just about anything else. A good fast-paced 20 minute walk outweighs 2 minutes on an elliptical for me hands-down.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals