Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parkour page

Winterbike is offline Senior Member

Parkour

Hi guys!

After listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts and being too poor to afford a MovNat seminar, I'm thinking starting doing some parkour. Not the ''jump from very very high buildings'' stuff, just the basics. It seems like a workout I could do anywhere, and overall, I'd just like to be more agile (parkour + bjj = two steps closer to being a ninja).

If any of you have done parkour and have some useful advice or funny stories to share, fire away!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Parkour is a great workout and a lot of fun! You're definitely smart to stick with the basics to avoid injury though.

I started parkour training last year and have been doing it on and off along with my bodyweight strength training for a while now - like yourself, I keep it pretty fundamental. Check out this blog I wrote a while back about beginning parkour.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Thanks! I'll check it!

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    My only advice is: I would be wary if you are on the heavy side, parkour is a light mans game. Bigger guys trying it are tempting fate.
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Parkour is a great workout and a lot of fun! You're definitely smart to stick with the basics to avoid injury though.

I started parkour training last year and have been doing it on and off along with my bodyweight strength training for a while now - like yourself, I keep it pretty fundamental. Check out this blog I wrote a while back about beginning parkour.
    Great post. I really enjoyed the video.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Secretlobster!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Kyle C. is offline Member
    I started training parkour recently as well and it's incredibly fun. My one word of caution is ease into it volume-wise. I developed a bit of achilles tendonitis because I fell in love too quickly. If you want to be very technical, you can count your footstrikes (landings, not every step you take). 80 per session would be about as high as you'd want to go for a beginner. And probably no more than 2 sessions per week at first.
    Primal Personal Trainer
    NSCA-CSCS
    http://www.powercurvefitness.com

Primal Barbie is offline Junior Member
    Try to find a class in the area (I know it's not doable for everyone) or at least a buddy. Parkour is a communal sport and it really helps to have someone who can check your form. My roommate and I started together and came up with "extreme hopscotch" which involves grok crawls to draw the squares, backwards crawls to number them, and precision jumps. Make up your own rules! Check out urbanfreeflow.com too, they have all their magazines archived via pdf.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Barbie View Post
    Try to find a class in the area (I know it's not doable for everyone) or at least a buddy. Parkour is a communal sport and it really helps to have someone who can check your form. My roommate and I started together and came up with "extreme hopscotch" which involves grok crawls to draw the squares, backwards crawls to number them, and precision jumps. Make up your own rules! Check out urbanfreeflow.com too, they have all their magazines archived via pdf.
    Grokscotch!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks like this calls for an update: I found a group in my area, most of them highschool kids. They were very open to new members and they were very open to help me. I went about five times and loved it. I've had schedule and time conflicts since this summer (so many cool sports, so few hours!!), so I haven't gone back, but I'll try it again next year for sure. I also went to the MovNat seminar (two days) and found it fun, but vastly overrated and overpriced. Parkour and BJJ skills do just as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast