Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chuck wagon steak page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

chuck wagon steak

Primal Fuel
    How should I cook a grassfed chuck wagon steak that I have thawed out? I'm guessing this is a tough cut of meat and not one I want to just through on the grill.

Is it like flank steak, where it's better to slice it thin?

If anyone has experience cooking this cut and making it tender, I would love to hear how you cook it.

Thanks!

Anyone? I googled it and just got chicken fried steak (yuk)... makes me think it's tough and not sure how to cook to make it more tender.

Help!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have never heard the term "chuck wagon" steak, and I live in Texas. Sorry.

Ha. Well, that's not a good sign!

I occasionally buy grassfed from a local farmer, and I bought this a while ago and cannot remember how she told me to cook it. She always gives me the low down on various cuts, as before changing my WOE over a year ago, I rarely ate steaks and am not great with cooking them (obviously).

I have it marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of coconut aminos (thought they might help it tenderize), garlic, pepper, fresh rosemary and thyme from garden. At least the marinade will be tasty. I also cut some slits in the meat but am wishing I had a meat hammer/mallet - might help.

I'll be in Austin in July - will have to see if I see any "chuck wagon steak" -- if all it's used for it's making "chicken fried steak" (now if that's not awful sounding), I may be in trouble.

Thanks!

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    If you think it's supposed to be tough, low and slow is the way to go. If not sear then cook to the desired doneness is what you want.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they are referring to chuck steaks, which is basically sliced chuck roast.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Maybe they are referring to chuck steaks, which is basically sliced chuck roast.
    Maybe... and chuck roast is, I'm assuming, tough?

Ant - maybe I should wait until tomorrow and cook low and slow instead of tonight on the grill (we were probably going to cook around 7:30).

Thanks, guys!

nancy64 is offline Junior Member
    Another Texan here who has never heard of Chuck Wagon Steak...I hope you did postpone and not grill. I would vote for low and slow. Some of the best tasting beef can be those tough cuts that you give time to break down.

I did grill it, and it was GOOD... really good.

I had to do a quick errand after I posted, so I ended up getting a meat mallet and beat the mess outta it. I was so afraid of it being tough, I really hammered it. It ended up marinating for about 3 hours. My husband grilled it perfectly medium rare. We were both very pleasantly surprised. I think it was my hammering... :-)

Thanks everyone!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    if indeed it was chuck steak i like to do mine like i do roasts
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast