Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF frequency q. page

davem is offline Senior Member

IF frequency q.

Shop Now
    I'm new to the idea of IF, although I do believe I'm not going to find any problems with it. For almost all of my life I've hated breakfast, just don't like the idea of waking up and eating unless I've been up for a while.

My question is, would there be any problems with having 2-3 days of IF based on whether or not I actually feel like eating before dinner? Example is today, was going to have lunch with my fiancee, got annoyed by too many questions of what I wanted to eat (Ok, not really, been annoyed by some work factors, and I transferred.) So instead of eating, we got her some chow and that was that. I'll have dinner, I don't care.

Should I really keep this under control and fast like this only once or twice a week? Are there any factors for concern that I should monitor? Should I just shut up and go eat a steak?

Thanks. One thing I don't want to do is start looking like (to the casual observer, I'm still a fat ass.) I'm cultivating anorexia or something along those lines.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Stop stressing over IF. Some people do it every day, some people only do it a couple days a week. It really depends on what you find works for you.

I'm like you, I've never liked breakfast, so I just never ate it. I learned about the IF concept through some friends, so I decided I'd just wait until I felt hungry to eat. Some days, that's around 2:00 or 3:00 pm. Other days, I get hungry around 6:00 or 7:00. Every once in awhile, I end up fasting all day. I don't sweat it, just make sure I'm not feeling dehydrated, and I'm cool.

This may help you lose weight; it helps most people. I theorize that it helps control your leptin, though I have ZERO scientific proof of that, lol. And I don't know enough about leptin to be any kind of authority. Whether it has anything to do with leptin, it will help you learn to discern when your body is hungry and to put a stop to what I call 'autopilot eating'.

As for people noticing you're not eating, just order an iced tea or water, and if anyone asks, tell them you had a big breakfast or just had a snack and you're not really hungry. As long as you explain to those close to you (like your gf, roommates, parents, etc.) whom you might spend long amounts of time with, most people won't get concerned about your eating habits, IMO.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I think it's fine if it's working for you.

Johnny at LeanSaloon eats this way every day. So do I , but I generally break my fast around noon and stop eating at 6 or 8pm.

Eat when you are hungry. Eat to satiety, but not "overfull."

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I think it's fine if it's working for you.

Johnny at LeanSaloon eats this way every day. So do I , but I generally break my fast around noon and stop eating at 6 or 8pm.

Eat when you are hungry. Eat to satiety, but not "overfull."
    Exactly, donít over think it. Just donít fast then binge. Find what works for you. I started with 16/8 but didnít have noticeable results with respect to fat loss. Then I went to 20/4 (basically one meal, then maybe a post meal snack before bed) during weekdays and 16/8 on weekends. Lost 2 inches on my waist and went from a 4-pack to a 6-pack in one month.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    During the week I skip breakfast, usually eating first meal around 1 and then dinner finishing before 8. I do it for weight loss and because in general I don't think we need 3 meals a day.

ok, so all this sounds great. (And yes, I need to worry less. Ton of things in my head, but that's another story, right?) Now if you look at it purely as a caloric restriction method, awesome. However, are there any instances where IF has caused or will cause someone to retain bodyfat?

What I have done if voracious is to hit the greens and vege first, then follow up with meats or a "second" small meal.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am a binge faster. That's why I like IF so much. I get to eat two large meals or sometimes one really big meals that fill me up. I am not full to the point of being sick, but I am very satisfied.

I am going to try a few 24 hour fasts after reading this article: Finding a Fasting Plan that Works for You! | The Lean Look

localad is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons I like eating intermittently now is just because I can! 3 years ago I simply would not have believed I could not eat for 16, 18, 24 or 40 hours. I was always hungry just 2 hours after eating, (possibly even sooner!)!

Last month, curious, I tried 2 days. First time in my life, (At 59 it's not often I get to try something new) Blood sugar stayed nailed at (UK) 4.5 throughout. Did a few sprints and some weights, pretending I was chasing after that massive juicy ribeye that was hiding in the 'fridge! I felt good.

I think I've definitely activated the natural rhythm that waits within. Seems to have a bit of an intermittent beat!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    One of the reasons I like eating intermittently now is just because I can! 3 years ago I simply would not have believed I could not eat for 16, 18, 24 or 40 hours. I was always hungry just 2 hours after eating, (possibly even sooner!)!

Last month, curious, I tried 2 days. First time in my life, (At 59 it's not often I get to try something new) Blood sugar stayed nailed at (UK) 4.5 throughout. Did a few sprints and some weights, pretending I was chasing after that massive juicy ribeye that was hiding in the 'fridge! I felt good.

I think I've definitely activated the natural rhythm that waits within. Seems to have a bit of an intermittent beat!
    Hahaha! That's awesome. How was managing the hunger? Did it stick with you, or go away?

localad is offline Senior Member
    It was 7pm to 7pm to 7pm. First morning I thought I felt 'light headed' But BG was 4.5. Drank some water, it went away. Had to keep busy. Slept well. Next morning felt sharp, mean, ready to rock and roll. Exercised. Sharpened my steak knife. Killed and prepared my meat (ok, that bit was in my head!) Thanked whoever for the animals life (thanked Life for the animals death or thanked Death for the animals life? .....whatever, I was happy to be experiencing consciousness!!) Ate the steak and said "Thank you Mum and Dad for that only egg and that only sperm which made only me!"

Yes. I suppose I got hungry!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast