Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: what fats should i avoid? page

  1. #1
    btownshreds's Avatar
    btownshreds is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    174

    what fats should i avoid?

    Primal Fuel
    the one thing that had me skeptical of even going primal and ridding of grains was eating too much fat and getting a heart attack or heart problem. i eat eggs, beef (burgers sometimes when im out), chicken, bacon, sausage......

    i dont know, tell me if there are fats i should stay away from and ones i should make a staple. i dont want health issues

  2. #2
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,405

  3. #3
    Nutritionator's Avatar
    Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    131
    Stay away from Omega 6's (Vegetable Oils, some nuts and grain fed animal products) and artificial trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Eat lots of Omega 3's (grass fed meat, and wild caught fish, fish oil, olive oil) and saturated fat is FINE for you (grass fed butter, any form of natural coconut.) Eating healthy fat will help remedy any heart disease problems you have going on, not make them worse. Chicken, even free range is still kind of high in Omega 6's so I try to limit that as well.
    My Paleo Project:

    www.nutritionator.com

  4. #4
    loafingcactus's Avatar
    loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,480
    Take the fear message you've been hearing your whole life about fat and make it about sugar and grains. When you see a "low fat" label think of it as a "high sugar" warning since that is how many low fat items are filled in. There are many, many studies to back this up. Good Calories, Bad Calories goes over then very well. But at the end of the day, it's a high sugar, high carb diet that causes heart damage.

  5. #5
    btownshreds's Avatar
    btownshreds is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    174
    thank u lewis! i really wanna know particular foods that are fat i shouldnt eat like nutritionator said. im on a website that counts calories and it says farmer john sausage has trans fat when the actual package says it doesnt.....weird? i dont want to think something im eating is ok when its really not

  6. #6
    loafingcactus's Avatar
    loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,480
    If the item has less than 0.5 gm per serving it can say "trans-fat free." Even when it isn't.

  7. #7
    chickenbackside's Avatar
    chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    246
    Naturally occurring trans fats are perfectly good to eat. They are found in, surprise surprise, natural foods like meat and eggs.

    Man made trans fats kill you. They are found in, gasp, potato chips, hydrogenated vegetable oils, granola bars, candy...

  8. #8
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    Stay away from Omega 6's (Vegetable Oils, some nuts and grain fed animal products) and artificial trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Eat lots of Omega 3's (grass fed meat, and wild caught fish, fish oil, olive oil) and saturated fat is FINE for you (grass fed butter, any form of natural coconut.) Eating healthy fat will help remedy any heart disease problems you have going on, not make them worse. Chicken, even free range is still kind of high in Omega 6's so I try to limit that as well.
    Interesting. But, that just means more carne asada meat!! (sort of).

  9. #9
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by btownshreds View Post
    thank u lewis! i really wanna know particular foods that are fat i shouldnt eat like nutritionator said. im on a website that counts calories and it says farmer john sausage has trans fat when the actual package says it doesnt.....weird? i dont want to think something im eating is ok when its really not
    Oh, right. As nutrinator said, so far as actual fats and oils go beware of vegetable oils and trans fats. In effect as well as meaning you'd best not buy canola oil or margarine, this probably also means you need to be very wary of any processed food. Potentially, any processed food may have industrial seed oils or artificial trans fats added to it—not that processed are not best avoided for a lot of other reasons anyway. I guess most people on this site have become careful label readers, and probably make most of what they eat from scratch anyway.

    For example, if you don't mind a sausage in a patty shape, you can probably make a better sausage and know what's in it with a few ounces of ground pork, a bit of seasoning, an egg to bind the mixture, and a hamburger press. Probably cheaper, too.

  10. #10
    btownshreds's Avatar
    btownshreds is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    174
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Oh, right. As nutrinator said, so far as actual fats and oils go beware of vegetable oils and trans fats. In effect as well as meaning you'd best not buy canola oil or margarine, this probably also means you need to be very wary of any processed food. Potentially, any processed food may have industrial seed oils or artificial trans fats added to it—not that processed are not best avoided for a lot of other reasons anyway. I guess most people on this site have become careful label readers, and probably make most of what they eat from scratch anyway.

    For example, if you don't mind a sausage in a patty shape, you can probably make a better sausage and know what's in it with a few ounces of ground pork, a bit of seasoning, an egg to bind the mixture, and a hamburger press. Probably cheaper, too.
    i see......damn eating primal is harder than i thought. especially being a touring musician! I DONT MAKE MUCH MONEY lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •