Thread: Stand and Deliver: Adams Primal Progress page

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member

Stand and Deliver: Adams Primal Progress

Primal Fuel
    Journal - awesome.

I'll start at the beginning. Oddly enough, I was born. OK, I'll start in the middle. Sometime early on in 2011, I faced the fact that I had become a fatass. My sister-in-law snapped an innocent picture back in 2009 and I realized at that moment that I was even heavier than I was when that picture was taken.

Truth ain't pretty. I knew that I had family pictures scheduled during the coming summer. I had the further realization that at my new job, everyone that had every met me, pretty much only knew me as a heavy guy. I had been fit as recently as 2003/2004 when I was literally binging on cycling. Since that time, stress, a sedentary lifestyle, and too many of the wrong calories had caught up with me.

So during Spring break (last week of March 2011), I read a book called, "The 4 Hour Body" by Tim Ferriss. Among other things, he's got a weight-loss/body re-composition way of eating called the "Slow Carb Diet."

In my opinion this "Way of Eating" was exceptionally suited for me. Here are the high points:
    • Remove all "White Carbs" from your diet. You're done with dairy, grains, cheese, corn, potatoes, etc.
    • Eat the sames things for every meal 6 days a week: A meat, a vegetable and a legume. Don't count calories. Don't snack. If you're hungry, eat another Slow Carb meal. (Eggs are meat).
    • Take one day a week off

Tim calls this "Slow Carb," I call it "Primal Training Wheels." You've got the benefit of removing the poison. The plan is very easy to follow and sustainable. The presence of beans means you'll easily get enough calories (so you won't starve). The day off a week means that you don't have to go without the comfort foods that you love.

I don't know exactly where I started, as I replaced a scale that I determined was not accurate. Let's just say that I was north of 230. With this plan, I found myself feeling completely different and 20 pounds lighter. I had plateaued, but I was feeling good and had developed a curiosity about nutrition and fitness.

I rounded up the usual suspects and did a lot of reading (Conventional Wisdom and otherwise). Through a few online friends I followed found Paleo, Archevore and Primal. I worked through the Primal Blueprint and found a way of life that I thought could be sustainable. I started ratcheting down the legumes in my diet (while adding back in some fat, fruit and cheese), adding some Primal exercises and trying to get my carbs down to 75g/day or less.

The plateau is apparently over, plus my diet is far more enjoyable now. I'm damn near close to seeing the lighter side of 200 pounds for the first time in years. Things are looking up for the pictures later this Summer!

So, I'm happy with the continued progress. I really can't say enough about the 4 Hour Body. I wouldn't be where I am without it. I still use many of the ideas explored in that book along with the Primal Blueprint.

Thanks for reading. Watch this space for updates. I'll post the summer picture when it's taken.

The weight loss continues - I finally broke 200. What's better is I can tell that my muscles are filling out a little too. I don't really intend to get ripped, but I'm happy nonetheless.

I found that eating Primal makes me not so hungry. Last week, I was eating not nearly enough. The calorie count was way down. I didn't feel hungry or anything, but my weight loss stalled. This week, eating more, better food got me on track again.

And today, I sprinted - on my bike. I sprinted the hell out of that bike - probably too fast for the bike path. I took 10 minutes off of my average time. It was way fun!

Also, I need new pants. And nearly a new belt.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great! Waiting eagerly here, for your photo update
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Belinda! I'll post the after pic when I find some non-baggy clothes.