Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketchup and Mustard not primal? page

ELDuran is offline Member

Ketchup and Mustard not primal?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was reading through some threads around here and some people wanted recipes for primal ketchup and mustard. WTF? I have been using them thinking they were primal.

Someone said some mustards have brown sugar in the ingredients. However, I checked mine, the label doesn't say anything about brown sugar. I use this one:

http://img4.realsimple.com/images/fo...ustard_300.jpg

Is this one OK? I can do without ketchup but not mustard. Thanks again!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Commercial ketchup usually has sugar. I have a tablespoon once in a while without worrying. Could mix tomato paste, a bit of vinegar and stevia if you wanted. Ketchup is not Paleo because of the tomato.

For mustard, just look at the ingredients, as you have done.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Ketchup isn't because of the sugar content, mustard is. Mustard is usually just mustard seed and vinegar. I do not avoid "normal" mustard at all.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Unless you eat a LOT of ketchup and mustard, I wouldn't sweat it. I know I *never* chow down on a big bowl of ketchup soup, do you?

If you are trying to be extremely strict about primal, ketchup and mustard would be iffy. However, I don't know many people who are so super-healthy-fit that a teaspoon of ketchup is where they need to focus their energies. I know for me I have other "low hanging fruit" to go after in terms of improving my primal lifestyle that will have a lot more positive impact (like sprinting regularly).
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Wait. How are tomatoes not paleo/primal? This is news to me. I don't eat a lot of tomatoes, I tend to treat them more like the fruits they are, but I still <3 them.
    Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Some people avoid tomatoes because they're nightshades and may cause inflammation. Nightshades don't really bother me (though they do bother others), so I'll have tomatoes once in awhile. If they don't bother you, I wouldn't worry about having some in moderation. I buy the Heinz Reduced Sugar ketchup, since I don't freak out over sucralose, either. If you do, this recipe might interest you: Fresh Organic Catsup Recipe - Allrecipes.com.

Again, with the mustard, I don't think there's anything un-primal about mustard seeds, just watch your ingredients.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Tomatoes are generally accepted as Paleo (in most circles) but some people cut them out because of sensitivities to nightshades. Cordain includes tomatoes on his recommended vegetables list, and Robb Wolf says they're good unless you have nightshade issues. The only issue for most people with ketchup is the sugar and the additives in most commercial brands. I make my own ketchup based on the recipe in the PB Cookbook, but there's also a recipe in Cordain's Paleo Diet Cookbook and others available online.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Mustard couldn't possibly be more primal.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I may be too easygoing by some standards, but I figure if I don't have a demonstrated sensitivity to the ingredients in a condiment, and I'm using it in small amounts for taste... it's not a problem.

We are pretty damn flexible omnivores, I think my body can deal with the tiny quantity of non-primal food in a condiment...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Just found this article on nightshades, if you need more info on them. Nightshades | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast