Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Fix My Diet - Hit a Plateau page

Grim is offline Member

Help Me Fix My Diet - Hit a Plateau

Primal Fuel
    I still feel new (and overwhelmed) to primal, but I'm loving it. I've lost 40lbs very quickly and I feel great.

I'm stuck on a weight/body fat loss plateau. It's been about 3 weeks now, so I'm thinking something needs to change. I want to work my way into a 8/16 IF, but as of now I am -miserable- without breakfast.

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 181-183lbs
    Body Fat %: 18-20 (I'm sure my scale is inaccurate, but my figure is close).
    Exercise: I have starting sprinting on Mondays. On the weekends I get at least one rock climbing session in. I probably don't get enough slowly moving, but I'm trying to get better. One other strength session will come at some point in the week, either climbing or just a pushup/situp kind of deal.

This is obviously a sample day, but I'm a consistent eater, so this is mostly how I eat every day.

645 AM: Breakfast: Eggs, scrambed in coconut oil. 1-3 eggs (depending on my hunger) and maybe some spinach or mushroom cooked in with them. A small glass of coconut milk to drink.

Morning vice: Cup (sometimes 2) of coffee. Black, no sugar or milk added.

12:45 PM Lunch: Big ass salad. Similar to Sisson's. Spring Mix, mushrooms, an avocado, onion, sliced almonds, tomato, and a couple of boiled eggs. Greek or Balasamic vinaigrette dressing.

3:30 PM (If needed) Snack: Celery and maybe a little bit of almond butter.

6:30-7:00 PM Dinner: Boiled Squash and a center cut pork chop, cooked in coconut oil.

Vice: 88% dark chocolate square. Only to be used in case of extreme sweet tooth emergency. :P Normally once a week.

Intermittent food: Occasionally I'll eat a mango, peach, or another fruit. Normally 3-4 times a week.

Help me get my Grok on! Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by Grim; 06-14-2011 at 09:48 AM.

you may be losing fat and gaining muscle. I have notice my weight loss is slower now but i am losing size by the way my clothes fit. Also feel yourself , you may feel a size difference.
    congrats on the 40 pounds.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm a woman who started in the 180s. I don't see much to cut out of your diet, except maybe go down to 1/2 avocado at lunch and lose the almonds. Also, how much olive oil vinaigrette? 1-2 tbsp should be enough.

Your diet is actually very similar to mine but I have my coconut milk with fruit after dinner instead of at breakfast. I'm a dessert addict.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I second what Caveman Mark says. If you do some measurements and see that your waist is shrinking, or your clothes are fitting looser, then you probably are losing fat and gaining muscle. If you are not losing fat, then take a look at your food portions. A glass of coconut milk, if it's truly pure coconut milk could be up to 400-500 calories by itself. Take a look at the amounts of meat, oils, nuts you are consuming. Your food choices look fine, so it could just be the portions.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    I'd try moving around a little bit more and give IF a try once or twice a week (just have an 8 hour window of eating for the day.) How's your sleep? Not getting enough sleep can raise cortisol levels and prevent fat loss. Also, how much sunlight are you getting? Vitamin D is important for everythinggg.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    More protein.

Don't skip breakfast yet, your body hasn't adapted if it is hard to skip breakfast.

Second getting your vitamin D levels up to sufficiency.

Grim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    How's your sleep?
    Fair. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    More protein.

Don't skip breakfast yet, your body hasn't adapted if it is hard to skip breakfast.

Second getting your vitamin D levels up to sufficiency.
    Now that I think about it, one day when I had nothing but meat for breakfast and lunch I felt much -much- more satiated for the day. I will try that. I remember that I went 10 hours without eating and didn't notice until my girlfriend reminded me we should eat supper.

My vitamin D should be good. I'm outside at -least- 12 hours a week, a minimum. It's not direct sunlight exposure though, a lot of it is in shady areas. Maybe I should work on direct exposure for shorter periods if possible?

Thanks so much guys, this is helping me out quite a bit.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium supplementation will help your sleep. Try 400-600 mg Magnesium Citrate 1 hour before sleeping. Most of us are deficient. It will help balance your blood sugar levels, too.

You really need to get your D levels tested to see if you are sufficient. Many folks don't get enough from sun, depending on their latittude, age and complexion.

Direct exposure 10 am-2 pm until your skin just starts turning pink (while wearing a swimsuit--not shorts & a t-shirt.) is recommended.

IanGHenderson is offline Junior Member
    I totally agree with john_e_turner_ii portion size has a lot to do with weight loss also cut out the almond nuts, they may be good for you but lots of calories in them. try cutting down on the quantity of eggs. It looks like you are really trying so keep up the good work

How To Lose Weight, Weigh Less, Diet Plans

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm thinking portion size aswell. If you are eating the same amounts as your pre 40 pound loss you may need to cut down a bit and see if there that breaks plateau. Maybe change things up with your exercise. How much more do you have to lose?
    Last edited by Sue; 06-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast