Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all women page

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member

Calling all women

Are there any women on here that started out around 200 pounds and lost a siginifigant amount of that weight? Could you share some tips with me? what would you eat in the beginning? what would you drink other than water? what kind of exersize did you do? I feel like i'm not doing this quite right. I feel like i'm going to get burnt out on it before it has a chance to work, and I'd like to know that there is somebody out there who started out where i am, that suceeded in their personal goals. (no offence Mrs. Toon) it doesn't create a lot of insperation when the only person i have to discuss this diet with on a personal level is already a skinny as a rail, and my family and close friends don't really believe this will work, or that it's good for me. My boyfriend supports the decision to do it, and he'll push me to suceed, but he doesn't know anything about it other than what i've told him, so he's no help on this level. Please send me a private mesage or reply to my journal with some advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

You all look so wonderful, and healthy.

I did just get done reading the thread in PB nutrition about how PB doesn't really work to great for women on it's own, that they need to calorie count as well. i found that to be very interesting, but I am so confused on what I should do. I can't go to the doctor to get tests done on my insulin and all that jazz because i don't have health insurance and i sure as hell can't afford to have all that done out of my own pocket. i'm lucky if i can afford two weeks worth of grocries. Does anybody have any advice?
    A rose by any other name.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    As you can see from my signature line, I started at nearly 190 lbs and this morning I was at 158 lbs. It does work!

I keep it really simple, eating very similar meals from day to day, but I don't find this boring. In fact, I find it kind of comforting. You may differ

Breakfast
    2 eggs, 3 slices bacon or a sausage

Lunch
    Big salad of mixed greens, 1/2 avocado, a handful of cucumber slices, a little bit of bell pepper, some coleslaw/broccoli slaw mix and olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.
    A can of tuna or salmon, some roast chicken, beef, pork or shrimp (whatever's in the fridge that catches my fancy - usually 5 or 6 oz worth)
    A small serving of fruit (1/2 an apple, a half cup pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)

Dinner
    5-6 oz protein, 1-2 cups steamed vegetables with butter. Maybe 1/2 a white potato, sweet potato or 1/2 cup of white rice as well.
    1/2 - 3/4 cup of frozen berries with 1/4 cup coconut milk and a square of dark chocolate.

Beverages: water, black coffee, plain chai tea

Usually I come in at around 1500-1600 calories. I try to stick to nearly 95% primal but have been known to use barbecue sauce and eat an ice cream bar When I started I ate dairy and almond butter but I've cut back on those quite a lot. I did have some cottage cheese this week and really enjoyed it, but I don't make a habit of it.

I try to move a fair bit. I walk 20 min every day, recumbent bike 15-20 min every day, work with 5 lb dumbbells a couple of times a week, and do wall pushups and squats and run sprints when I think of it. I'm not a gym rat or a lover of cardio. I don't like sweating
    Last edited by belinda; 06-14-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: forgot the exercise!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I'm somewhere between 215-200 lbs and I'm losing inches and gaining muscle. I'm taking a gander at guessing my weight right now as I've chucked the scale. I understand where you are coming from with not having insurance and living paycheck to paycheck. I'm riding that exact same boat. I started this fully in a size 16 pant/XL top. I'm pretty much fully wearing size 14 pants/L tops now.

When women our size and larger do this, you have to remember that we are healing our bodies from all the past abuses we've done to it. This is why its going to be a slower process for us. I eat 3 meals a day, make breakfast the largest of those meals, lunch is 5 hrs later which is a medium sized meal and dinner is another 5 hrs later with being the smallest meal. If you've read any of the threads on leptin resistance, I'm following that program. I also do SimpleFit for my body weight exercises along with some other exercises in the PBF and then walk 30 minutes to an hour a day and sprint once a week. Patience is a virtue with this program but you will get to where you want to be.
    Georgette

I expected it to be slow, not something that would happen overnight. I'm just kind of starting to get discouraged for some reason. Not that I want the breads again, i don't. I do not miss living off peanut butter sandwiches. The only allowances i've given myself is i'll have a small ice cream at work and maybe two out of 6 times i'll eat a couple yeast rolls at Texas Roadhouse when i get dinner there. Usually only when i feel like i'm starving and only have a couple dollars to get food enough to last me about 6 hours. Although, I did treat myself to a spoonful of cooked fried rice the other night. We went to Kobe's, and i got my chicken and broccoli like always, and it just smelled too damn good to pass up. sadly, that spoonful of cooked rice (which really isn't much) and i seem to have gained back my two pounds. not cool. i'm going to incorporate calorie counting into primal, at least for a little bit, and see if that helps.

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    I started out six months ago at 245 and last week I weighed myself I was at 228. The scale has been moving quite slowly for me, but the tape measure tells a different story. Before I started I couldn't wear my wedding ring because it was too tight, now it's getting to the point it might be too loose. I've gone from a size 24 pant to a size 18.

- My meals aren't very standard. I'm the only one working so we often don't have a lot of money. Most mornings I have a breakfast of two eggs with some bacon and whatever we pull out of the garden (right now it's a couple radishes).
    - I rarely eat lunch and when I do it's a cup or two of whatever we had the night before.
    - Dinners are my largest meal and usually involve either curry, spaghetti squash with heavy meat sauce, kilbasa and sauerkraut, or a roasted chicken (we eat most of a whole one between my husband and I). Sometimes when things are very tight I'll mix up a fish salad with canned tuna or salmon, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and spices. The husband will usually eat ramen.

My exercise is very low. I lift heavy things when I feel like it, maybe a couple times a month. We also go on walks in the evenings and I'll often do a little sprinting then.

When I first started I was eating a lot of nuts and still drinking a lot of milk. I've pretty much stopped milk completely and it's helped a lot. I still eat cheese but nowhere near in the quantities I was eating before.

As for what I drink, really it's pretty much just water. Sometimes I'll have a sip or two of my husband's soda or I'll get one of those starbucks iced frappaccinos if I want a treat, but when I'm thirsty I drink water. Oh, I enjoy hot herbal tea in the evenings sometimes, usually chamomile or mint. I don't put in honey or sugar but in the winter I put in some butter and cream.

I don't count calories. I don't have the patience. I just try not to over stuff myself. This is pretty difficult for me in the evenings though because I love food and I love to cook. But then I'm not eating lunch so I don't worry about it too much, I just try to make sure I don't eat right before bed.

see, i used to love to cook, but cooking every single day, and trying to make the time to get up early enough to cook breakfast and get home with time to cook food for the next day, shower, and get to sleep at a decent time (before 11pm) and still have time to see Justin, it's very hard to do. i only get one day off a week from both my jobs, and that day is usually packed with laundry, cleaning, and any/all running i need to do and that my mom throws on top of that pile. thats part of my problem, is time to cook.

barefootmama is offline Member
    I started around 208 3.5 months ago and yesterday I was at 179. I'm not losing super-quickly, but my shape has completely changed. My 18-20 pants were getting too tight when I started, now my size 14 jeans are falling down, and I'm swimming in size large shorts.

My goal here is really overall health, but the weight loss will help with my health issues.

Let's see... I mostly just drink water these days. For a while I was trying to "spike" my water with juice, but then I'd get a hankering for straight juice and drink it anyway. So now all I keep in the house is water. Oh I also drink coffee - either black, or with a little coconut milk, and sometimes a caffeine/soy free herbal tea.

I don't count calories either. I did use fitday.com to do a few calculations in the beginning, just to make sure I was getting enough food. I had a few days there where I didn't get enough calories and felt really awful. So I plugged in my food for a few days, figured out where to add calories to make the biggest impact without going crazy, and now I know what to eat so that I feel good, don't feel deprived, and still lose weight. I aim for a decent amount of fat each day, and try to make sure I eat enough protein.

I use Sweetleaf Stevia in my coffee. I eat steak when i can, and chicken when i'm poor. lol. I'm getting kind of burnt out on broccoli and carrots, but their aren't many other veggies that i actually enjoy eating. I'll give that fitday.com a try and see what it says. I used to use Calorieking.com for my calorie counting.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Boil a dozen eggs. Instead of frying up one hamburger, fry 3 (1 dinner, 2 lunches or even breakfast!). Fry a whole pound of bacon, not just a few slices. Could you do a roast in a crockpot - you don't even have to be home while that is cooking? Buy a big container of mixed greens, a bag of coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw mix. Prep a bottle with your favourite primal dressing (I just do 2/3 olive oil, 1/3 balsamic vinegar). Buy cans of tuna or salmon when it's on sale. That only needs a can opener. Buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or even a slab of pre-cooked ribs.

There are ways to do primal without being in the kitchen 24/7 and without being perfect. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Tupperware is your friend
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Boil a dozen eggs. Instead of frying up one hamburger, fry 3 (1 dinner, 2 lunches or even breakfast!). Fry a whole pound of bacon, not just a few slices. Could you do a roast in a crockpot - you don't even have to be home while that is cooking? Buy a big container of mixed greens, a bag of coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw mix. Prep a bottle with your favourite primal dressing (I just do 2/3 olive oil, 1/3 balsamic vinegar). Buy cans of tuna or salmon when it's on sale. That only needs a can opener. Buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or even a slab of pre-cooked ribs.

There are ways to do primal without being in the kitchen 24/7 and without being perfect. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Tupperware is your friend
    I do this quite often. I know you have only 1 full day off and I like to grill a ton of meat in one day for the week. Roasts, stews, whole chickens, soups are cooked easily in the crockpot and don't require you to be there.

I drink about 72oz-1 gal of water a day. I also have 1-2 cups of coffee and occassionally a diet pop or a frozen coffee. I love frozen coffe.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast