Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 20% Feelgood Thread page

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I can think of nothing outside of religion itself that inspires such full-on religious zealotry as success with a diet does. Even professional sports can't quite compare. There's no doubt that the atmosphere of the forum lately has been getting more intense as people go to extremes to get the body they want (ie. 100% carnivorism) and the ensuing debates erupt. I feel I've got nothing worthwhile left to contribute to any discussions here since the kinds of discussions going on seem to require degrees in biology.

So I'd like to take things back a notch and re-embrace a crucial component of the Primal Blueprint which is that "20%" that is our security blanket/safety net/de-stressing zone/what have you.

Winter is setting in, which means a fitness buddy is more important than ever to keep up that motivation. The thought of going out at dawn for sprints and then a nice long walk is not appealing at all at this time of year. As for me, I have no fitness buddy. I'm stuck living at home and going nowhere thanks to stupid choices in university and the nature of the city in which I live. So I've decided not to stress about my body at all over the holidays. I'll do my Krav Maga three times a week, keep IFing and eating two meals a day mostly of meat and vegetables, do some pullups every now and then, but that's it. Neighbor invites me out for a DQ Blizzard? You bet. Buddy from Calgary comes to visit? Yes, the "Mile High Mud Pie at Montana's" tradition will live on. Christmas baking? Don't mind if I do.

Heck, I had Rice Krispies, Kraft Dinner, and then tater tots and pork-n-beans with my ham at dinner the other day. I feel perfectly fine.

Now, come Spring, I'll be getting into Crossfit and hopefully by that time I'll be in a better financial position to afford my own place and surround myself with health-minded people, but for the time being I'm not going to stress over it.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Yay!!!!

Oh I'm so excited for christmas baking. It will all be grain free, but it will contain honey, maple syrup and in some cases *gasp* refined white sugar!!!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Winter = hibernation tendencies for me! Lots of snuggling, dozing, hot mugs of coffee (though now black not milky)...

I'm fortunate in that i work physically and outdoors. Bet I won't be saying that in January, haha!

But Xmas?

Yes, there will be alcohol, and sugar, and no doubt flour too. My compromise will be to eat "pre-PB" but ONLY homemade badness.

Homemade is cheaper and nicer anyway - always has been!

I'm aiming for damage limitation but I'll make sure I damn well enjoy every last bite of naughtiness!

syzchan is offline Member

I plan on making these in the near future as part of my 20% http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...n-sink-cookies. A friend gave me a couple his mom made and they were the best cookies ever...Mmmm

Also, I was thinking of this earlier, of what treat I would really want to indulge on and there's nothing like the chocolate-dipped pretzels from Bernard Callebaut - so rich, even pre-PB I could only eat a few at a time and I love chocolate-covered pretzels!

Annika is offline Senior Member

For Thanksgiving dinner today I am going full-bore 20% - bread stuffing, gravy with flour in it, cranberry jelly, pumpkin pie with regular wheat crust. I could have striven to make it much more Primal, since I am hosting, but hell, Thanksgiving is once a year and I'm just going to live it up.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Primalchild it is all about attitude. I walk more in the evenings during the (Canadian) winter than the summer. You don't need weights because you need more clothes. The stars at night seem so much brighter in the winter. When the full moon blocks them out you can't help but enjoy the brightness of the full moon reflecting off of the snow. Who needs street lights?

So don't let winter throw you off course... winter is 25% and officially doesn't start for another month.

I agree with your 20% though. I gained 5 lbs over the deer hunt. I didn't beat myself up, I just got back into the 80% mode and I've lost the 5 plus two more. One bad week in Nov. though is 25%. I rest my case.

Personally I think it is important to live each day as if it is my last... because one day I know I will be right.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Love that this thread was started.Staying primal is pointless if it becomes so rigid and unenjoyable.

Come holidays, what really gets me are the xmas drinks at the cafes- hot cocoa, gingerbread and eggnog lattes. Irresistible in the cold weather. Ive prepared myself with heavy cream, cocoa powder, and coconut milk. Must find a nice eggnog recipe..yum.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

My weekly 20% consists only of 2 or 3 servings of rice, which I soak for 2 days before cooking, and sweet potatoes on the night before weight training... Occasionally I go to a Japanese/Korean restaurant and have sushi, which I plan on doing at the end of this semester (I deserve it! lol)

And sometime this week I'm going to make something like a banana & peanut butter fritatta (or something of the sort), and eat it with milk... I've been wanting it for so long, and it's not even too unprimal, besides the peanut butter.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t really leave myself much room for 20%. I have sort of an "all or nothing" personality, but I did give in today and have a bit of pie and some cookies. I think I prefer Primal foods, and I find that these little splurges only teach me how much I don&#39;t really need them anymore. I honestly don&#39;t enjoy them as much as I used to. It&#39;s sort of sad in a way. Like breaking up or losing an old friend- lol.

With that being said, I&#39;m looking forward to some really yummy (and Primal!) treats for Christmas. I have a fantastic nut butter brownie recipe that I&#39;m going to use to make muffins. There are also macaroons, and maybe some sweetmeats (date & nut balls). Then there&#39;s the eggnog and the mulled wine. I will be enjoying both, probably quite liberally.

The rest of the time I&#39;m quite content to be mostly Carnivore, and have been enjoying essentially a single daily meal. It&#39;s convenient and filling.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primalchild - love this thread! I tend to be someone that likes to be in total control, bur having said that, what I love about primal is that if you do go off primal, you know that going back on will sort you out very quickly indeed. I don&#39;t see it as a way of life that should hamper your social life either, given that most of the people we know are CW, you can&#39;t expect everyone to lay on a 100% primal food offering. Having said that, I&#39;m not averse to saying no to some foods and asking for more flesh!

For me, Chanukkah is coming up, there&#39;s a bar mitzvah tomorrow and tons of food is on the horizon. Traditional feasting at this time is really not primal, but I will select the odd treat (cheesecake with the biscuity base, please!) and load up on the salmon. And I won&#39;t beat myself up about it.

High Five for this thread. Let&#39;s all take a step back and relax.

Happy Holidays, whichever you celebrate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast