Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you include grains in your 20%? page

mcsnick is offline Member

Do you include grains in your 20%?

Primal Fuel
    I have been very strict in the last 6 weeks with almost no cheats. I am easily losing weight, have plenty of energy, and feel better than ever. Once I reach my goal weight I am contemplating whether grains could be in my 20%. They don't seem to have an ill effect on me and it might be what I need to make this sustainable for the long run. (Pizza once a month...) On the other hand, I feel like I might be giving in and wimping out too easily. Just curious your take...
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a n=1 project. Do what works for you.

Also, I came from a community that had a saying "don't do anything to lose weight that you don't plan to do for the rest of your life.". I think it's a good advice. If this pizza is going to be a part of your life, start now. If it doesn't work now, it won't work then, and vice versa.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't really look at the 20% as license to cheat; i see it more as leeway for my diet not being perfect (conventional meat, the occasional bad oil, etc)...i try for 100% compliance and know that i'm at least 80% there. the 20% keeps me from stressing out about food.

having said that, i also just say eff it every now and then and dig in to some very non-primal foods because i'm at a birthday party or out with friends. this doesn't happen all that often, but when they do i'm not thinking about percentages and all that--i'm thinking that the most primal thing i can do is connect with friends and family, even if that means pizza and cake.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I have used grains as part of my *20%* but it really was the same as taking one step forward and two steps back. So, yeah, no - these days I don't - with the singular exception of something like a sliver of cake at someone's birthday party (usually just my children's). These days my indulgences are rare. On a weekly basis it might include one dinner with a small side of roasted baby red potatoes with rosemary and a bucket of butter or perhaps a small serving of rice with a meal.

But I try not to *plan* more than one such divergence in a given week, preferring instead to reserve my 20% for unexpected emergencies or for (again - rarely) a true indulgence - like a cup of chocolate custard from Carl's.

(If you're ever in Fredericksburg, VA, Carl's is totally worth the stop).

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Ultimeatza. no need for grains :-)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    It's a rare thing for me, but there are a few things for which I will make an exception - spanikopita (which I make once every few months), baklava (which I get a couple times of year), and the very occasional cookie or something, but it has to be good. I also have to admit to a few GF pretzels now and then. These things don't seem to cause me any problems. Pasta, however, is a different story. I had it once since going primal, and I was so sick. Never again!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i don't really look at the 20% as license to cheat; i see it more as leeway for my diet not being perfect (conventional meat, the occasional bad oil, etc)...i try for 100% compliance and know that i'm at least 80% there. the 20% keeps me from stressing out about food.

having said that, i also just say eff it every now and then and dig in to some very non-primal foods because i'm at a birthday party or out with friends. this doesn't happen all that often, but when they do i'm not thinking about percentages and all that--i'm thinking that the most primal thing i can do is connect with friends and family, even if that means pizza and cake.
    +1
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    This.

+1

Totally.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat grains any more. When I was first starting out I felt like a life without grains would be so hard. The reality now is that I really don't miss them.

But then again, I do have a problem with grains...not a physical problem, but the reality that I can overeat grain-based food in a way that I can't do with primal food. And grain-based food is a gateway to sugar-based food for me. So this happy place of not wanting to eat them is far too precious for me to risk it going away.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nope! my 20% is pretty much Gravy....I cannot eat without gravy I am a wet eater and I need gravy on my meat and veg or its too dry.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast