Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you won the long war against sugar addiction? page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

Have you won the long war against sugar addiction?

I really need some guidance. Or support. Or something. I'm not referring to those who used to like sweets, but learned they should go primal, promptly quit, and never had another bite. I'm not referring to those who had some trouble getting off sugar, but increased fat & protein, and had no trouble quitting.

I mean, if you obsessed over sweets, binged on sweets, LOVED sweets, couldn't imagine living without them, and then quit, and then months (or a year) later found yourself bingeing again, then increased fat & protein, went totally primal, kept no sweets in your house, surrounded yourself with healthy choices and healthy people, and then months later found yourself bingeing again, but finally, at long last, won the battle against not just sugar, but against the sugar *cravings*, and have stayed that way for over a year ... you're the one I need to hear from.

I'm drowning. I went sugar-free three years ago eating real, whole foods, and by dramatically increasing fat & protein. I dropped grains and stayed solid for a few months, then drowned again. Then after 9 months, did it again. Stayed very, very low-sugar for nine months, then went primal all the way & no-sugar, and most cravings died away, but every few months, would find myself spiraling into cravings again, and giving until till I had a few terrible binges.

I lose weight as long as grains and sugar stay out of my diet, but while grains no longer tempt me, sugar won't leave me alone. I'll do a 30 day challenge and then go craving-free for a few months, then something slips in and suddenly I'm drowning again. I did an anti-candida whole 30 (no fruit, nuts, sweet veggies, etc., basically nothing but meat, eggs, & green veggies) and collapsed three weeks in b/c of incessant intense cravings.

I need help! "Just do it" doesn't work, never has. I've done anti-candida, GAPS, 100% primal, all of it. Two weeks, three weeks, 30 days, 60 days - no matter how long I stay "clean," eventually the cravings start creeping back in and do me in. Check my journal - it's been going here for almost a year and a half and documents 40lb lost (and ten regained during a six week series of weekend binges this spring) even while beating back constant cravings, and falling and rising and falling and rising again.

I'm so tired and beaten down. Is it possible to get rid of irrational cravings for sugar forever? Not just get to the point where you can "just say no" constantly all day every day, but get *rid* of the cravings and live a normal life where sugar doesn't yell at you all day long?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Well by sugar are you including fruit and tubers? Because I think that a life with no fruit would suck. I can live without ice cream, candy, honey, maple syrup and anyother "sweet" but I think a little fruit as a treat is perfection.

As for the rest of it, dark dark dark chocolate seems to slay sweet cravings like nothing else for me.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I got off of sugar about 15 years ago by following my allergist's recommendation: taking chromium picolonate. It's been so long that I don't recall the exact protocol, but the supplement took away my craving for sugary stuff. And I have never looked back, even passing up birthday cake and the like, which used to be irresistable.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sorry honey. I wish I had a magic life buoy. Do you know what triggers the Binges? How do you react to them? Do you beat yourself up and figure why bother? You say you have tried eliminating all sweet and starchy things. Have you tried eating some of them, like starch vegetables? Good luck. I hope someone has an answer to give you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    No matter how many times I walk away, the sweets always get me back. The good news is that I no longer really crave non-primal sweets. The bad news is that left unchecked I could and would really get out of control with honey, maple syrup, fruit, etc.

I'll be very interested to see the advice given here.

Robynbee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

I'm so tired and beaten down. Is it possible to get rid of irrational cravings for sugar forever? Not just get to the point where you can "just say no" constantly all day every day, but get *rid* of the cravings and live a normal life where sugar doesn't yell at you all day long?
    This. I want to know the answer to this as well. Mamagrok, I know exactly where you're coming from. I have dealt with sugar cravings for years and years and never been able to fully banish them from my life. Case in point, I've been eating strict Primal for almost two months (no dairy, sugar, anything bad) and today I lost it. The drowning description is a good one. I'm at a loss for how to deal with these cravings once and for all.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    :hugs:

I am just starting my journey, but having the same issues. I am 1 month into my candida challenge, hanging on by the proverbial skin of my teeth. Not a day has gone by that I haven't craved sweets, from fruit to cheesecake to pancakes dripping with real maple syrup. My only cheat has been the communion grape juice at church, but it has been HARD. I know that if I ate "just a little" I would end up eating a whooooooole lot of fruit, I have been known to eat an entire cantaloupe or a carton of berries at a sitting, and still want more. Even "safe" vegetables aren't immune from causing me cravings. If I eat sauteed onions (not high carb, but not low either), I have to eat an entire plateful.

One thing that has helped so far is Vitamin C supplements in the form of ascorbic acid. 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a shotglass of water curbs my cravings almost instantly, although not 100% satisfied. Today I tried doing a no-carb breakfast (4 eggs and a pork chop), followed by a no-carb lunch (Bee's egg drink from her anti-candida site, it's basically eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, coconut oil, and hot water, actually quite tasty), followed by a dinner with meat, eggs, and veggies. Today is the first day my cravings have been so minimal I didn't even think about them until after my veggies at dinner. I think if I limit my carbs to later in the day, maybe I can help keep the cravings down, we'll see how it goes from here on out though.

Not sure how much help any of that is, just know you're not alone in this, I'm fighting it too!

j_wren is offline Junior Member
    Absolutely no advice to offer here, but just to say, you are not alone! I can eat super clean for days, weeks even and avoid grains and bread and pasta and all that. But then I cave into this sweet tooth and end up eating (not at all proud of this) a whole package of really horrid cookies. Like not even good cookies. It's kind of like when I tried to quit smoking years ago. I didn't really want to stop smoking. I knew that smoking was killing me and a terrible habit, but just couldn't quit. Then one day, I just stopped. And I never smoked again. I keep thinking that at some point that's going to happen with sugar but it's not. The very big difference here of course is that smoking is considered by most to be a filthy habit but saying no to someone's home baked cake is like slapping them in the face. Oh well. Good luck to us and hoping to hear some great advice!

suzy-nz is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I smoked cigarettes for 12 years of my life and gave up no problem! drugs, alcohol..... can take them or leave them. Addiction to any of these has never been a problem for me.
    Sugar though? I would often battle with a desire to eat an entire bag of lollie's in one sitting. The thing that has helped me deal with this is admitting to the addiction and allowing myself to eat 85% organic dark chocolate daily (12g of sugar in 100gm, so 30-40gms doesn't yield much sugar). It's a replacement as such, and in 6 months of doing this and eating primally I have only fallen off the wagon and sugar binged once, whereas pre PB it would be a once or twice weekly major sugar overdose. Dont know if this will help you, but try the daily chocolate and see.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast