Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Have you won the long war against sugar addiction? page 35

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just saw this thread resurface, thought I'd update on me-land. I sure was a hardcore sugar addict at one point.

And I am braindead due to low carb flu of the braaaaain, at the moment. So I deleted a massive post due to severe ADHD rambling and will have to read the thread later when I'm able to, you know, think.

But yes, I have won the battle against sugar addiction. 100%

Reason is: because sugar addiction was never my REAL problem in the first place. I binged on sugar, purged, was anorexic/bulimic, etc etc because I have ADHD/dysythmia. And without diagnosis and medication, my body and brain can't GET the brain chemicals they need any other way than shocking my neurochemistry into action with megadoses of sugar.

So, as long as I can get medications, amino acids and so on, I am happily free of sugar. And also binging, purging, any food-related crazy in fact, weight problems, any grains, any legumes or nuts and in fact even any fruit, I quit all fruit without regret over the winter.

I am in the process of cutting my carbs a bit lower since my body loves ketosis and my brain- obviously- will as well. It just needs it's low carb flu adjustment. And my life, diet, etc sure isn't perfect. But I no longer live in the same universe as sugar. Also, coconut oil is the shit, I just realized this. Who knew.

But I'll have ADHD, dysthymia and so on for the rest of my life, and I will always have to manage them. There is no cure, this is my brain's physiology and that's the way it is. Period.

But I am no longer a sugar addict or an active ED sufferer. So, hey. Not perfect, but I'll take it.

Hope you ladies are doing well, or at least BETTER. <3
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    That's really interesting, because I absolutely believe there is some physiological drive behind why our brains and/or bodies are so confused about wanting so much of this ridiculous sugar. I often wonder why my body got so confused about this, as I was decidedly *not* a sugar/bread addict before college and many years of antibiotic overuse.

OTOH, I don't think that you are necessarily doomed to ADHD for life. Unless, like some other types of brain damage, you think you suffered some permanent harm in the womb, during birth, or some later time. (Most neurological illness seems to respond extremely well to CO, omega 3's, and other aspects of a primal diet & lifestyle, and I know many who have ended debilitating and lifelong battles with many varying forms of it, and others who have turned it way down.) But that's a whole other story. What's fascinating and important here is that you've found what was making your food drive off and kicked it. Awesome! I'm so glad you posted that here.

It is NOT about being a glutton or lacking self-discipline, and that knowledge is what is so missing, and so empowering when realized and the person is able to act on it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    That's really interesting, because I absolutely believe there is some physiological drive behind why our brains and/or bodies are so confused about wanting so much of this ridiculous sugar. I often wonder why my body got so confused about this
    Because we're neolithic agents of paleolithic vehicles. In other words, when our forebears ran across something a little bit sweet, it was a great idea for them to eat it. Because availability was low and sweetness was much less pronounced. So the affinity for it grew large.

Quote Originally Posted by mamagrok
    (Most neurological illness seems to respond extremely well to CO, omega 3's, and other aspects of a primal diet & lifestyle, and I know many who have ended debilitating and lifelong battles with many varying forms of it, and others who have turned it way down.) But that's a whole other story. What's fascinating and important here is that you've found what was making your food drive off and kicked it. Awesome! I'm so glad you posted that here.

It is NOT about being a glutton or lacking self-discipline, and that knowledge is what is so missing, and so empowering when realized and the person is able to act on it.
    Yeah, we're not flawed beings in a suitable environment, we're perfectly well-designed beings in a terribly unsuitable environment. We should all do a better job of giving ourselves credit just for navigating a world so poorly suited for human animals. This is an awesome point that I wish I did a better job keeping in the forefront of my mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's unlikely you'll ever lose interest in sweet food. We have a sweet tooth for a reason, you just have to harness in the right way with better food choices.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    I have found intermittent fasting really helps me. It is easier for me to turn down sugar because I am fasting than to just have "one piece.". I have a five hour window to eat and I mainly want protein and fat then

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Richmahogany, it goes far beyond the seasonal.search for fruit. My sugar cravings grew exactly 7proportionate to tbe ldngth of my antibiotic use. I never had a craving problem before that. Increasing fat and especially mornkng protein drove tbe cravings away, and i no longer desire any sweet qfoods except an occasional strawberry.

Your explanation, which is common, does not explain why a person with a reasonable normal sweet tooth became sugar obsessed, and completsly unable to stop.the addiction, but the found something which was completely able to annihilate cravings to a point far less than they had ever been ... Ever.

Same goes for the next commenter.

Cursed phone.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Seems like a good place to ask this question:

Q: if you had a family member who was addicted to sugar, and you convinced them to go get checked out by a doctor, what tests would you recommend?

This individual has eaten sugar for decades, to the extent that it has materially displaced real food. I don't even want to estimate the proportion of calories coming from sugar. Perhaps 35%? If you include alcohol maybe 50%+. It's malnutrition + sugar addiction + drinking. Not good.

The most obvious would be triglycerides...and along with that HDL/LDL via a VAP test. Sky high numbers here could help quantify the severity of the situation. Probably a fasting insulin test correct? What other tests would reveal the damage done by sugar/alcohol?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Seems like a good place to ask this question:

Q: if you had a family member who was addicted to sugar, and you convinced them to go get checked out by a doctor, what tests would you recommend?

This individual has eaten sugar for decades, to the extent that it has materially displaced real food. I don't even want to estimate the proportion of calories coming from sugar. Perhaps 35%? If you include alcohol maybe 50%+. It's malnutrition + sugar addiction + drinking. Not good.

The most obvious would be triglycerides...and along with that HDL/LDL via a VAP test. Sky high numbers here could help quantify the severity of the situation. Probably a fasting insulin test correct? What other tests would reveal the damage done by sugar/alcohol?
    unfortunately the damage is so systemic as to become unbelievable.

much of that which we assume to be a discrete illness is truly an indication of glucose overdose including all the obesity indicators as well as many if the autoimmune disorders.

if you are hoping to provoke a change in lifestyle i have found it to be far more effective to point out the benefits of a thing rather than the detriments of its opposite.

like eat a stevia sweetened cheesecake whenever they are around you ... a whole one. eggs cream cheese, nut crust, all keto all the time...
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    unfortunately the damage is so systemic as to become unbelievable.

much of that which we assume to be a discrete illness is truly an indication of glucose overdose including all the obesity indicators as well as many if the autoimmune disorders.
    Yep, I agree with that. In fact that is this person's problem; they have all sorts of issues and just can't comprehend that the source of all of them might be SUGAR. Need to do tests, this person is sick. But have considered stevia, the Japanese seem to be doing okay.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do they want to be well???

until the answer is yes any change is too much.

most people cannot conceive of eating real food let alone giving up what they assume are basics to life which are truly life destroying.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast