Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about yeast overgrowth? page

PaleoMum is online now Member

Shop Now

Have been having terrible GI issues including really bad D for about 6 weeks despite fairly good adherence to primal diet including totally wheat/dairy free. Went to doc today - she told me to eat wheat-free pasta... In zombie mode I went home, ate the pasta, then woke up! Won't be doing that again. But now I wonder if I've got a yeast overgrowth issue, possibly exacerbated by eating apples and bananas and drinking wine. Anyone know anything about this? And is it something I can treat myself, or would I need pills? Don't know if they even do tests for this, or recognise it as a problem, in the UK.

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member

The thing that helped me the MOST has been supplementing with probiotics!

Gotta get one with a high dose though.

The capsule I take have 50billion organisms per capsule at time of manufacturing.

Other stuff that may help is Olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, pau d'arco, garlic...and of course...diet.

Making your own Kefir is supposed to be incredible. But I haven't been able to go that route yet.

semper ad meliora

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

oh yes a good probiotics daily is a must

I take a good one by metagenics

eat lots of veggies with fiber

that helps with the D

xoxo Darlene

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Well, what is "yeast overgrowth issue?"

I won't even mention what it envisions to me.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

If it is yeast, caprylic acid capsules can be helpful.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

@OTB - I expect PaleoMum is talking about candida - a yeast organism that lives in the bowel. the overgrowth is when it gets aggressive and takes over from all the other good bacteria. Having too much of this yeast in your system results in lots of nasty symptoms - fatigue, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.

Sugar in your diet, breads, pasta and yeast can make it worse, so to eradicate it, you usually have to cut out processed food and anything containing sugar and yeast. Probiotics also do help repopulate the bowel with all the good bacteria.

It's a tough one to get standard doctors to recognise - a nutritionist might be a better approach.

BTW - I don't have it, but my colleague does, hence the bit of knowledge I have.

62shelby Guest

another point about systemic candida. it can weaken the intestinal lining and can contribute to leaky gut syndrome, allowing particles of food into the blood stream as well as yeast. this can be a contributing factor to allergies. A live blood test can identify if there is yeast in the blood. colonic irrigation can also pick it up, but um, thats not for everyone, and I certainly wouldnt recommend it.

glutamine powder is very good for sealing and healing the gut. I love bioK for an amazing probiotic.

FairyRae2 Guest

The MDC forums are the first place I go to related to all things health--here are two threads that are about candida--quite long and detailed so you might have to do some in depth reading to get the most helpful info, but just wanted to share!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=941070&highlight=css

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=952566&highlight=candida

I've also found the following 2 links invaluable in terms of digestive health (including keeping up the good flora in the gut, while keeping the 'baddies' like candida in check.) So worth reading!!)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=434071

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1096747

Good luck!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Excessive Candida.....that I would have known.

Shelby, I trust that you understand that leaky gut doesn't have "particles" entering the bloodstream. Molecules, yes, chunks, no.

62shelby Guest

trying to start an argument OTB? the food would have to broken down by the time it gets that point in the digestive system. dont nitpick. I dont pretend I have a degree in biology, and I dont need one to participate in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast