Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too old for crossfit? page 2

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RLaVigna View Post
    I am 50 yrs old and up until last month could not figure out what was making me sick (diagnosed with Celiac Disease May 25, '11) and even while getting sick i pushed myself to do as much as I could. Remember Jack LaLanne? He cross trained until he died at age 97. As long as you are alive you are never too old.

Make sure you work around any physical issues you may have by starting slow since you are so old!

+1
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
    What is a muscle up?
    Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! » Muscle-Ups!!

We do them using rings at our gym. Well, other people do. I'm still working on the progression.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    How much fitness would one have to have as a base to start CF? (I think it ties in with the age question well enough.)
    I've seen people start at a lot of different levels. Personally, I came into it after an extended period away from working out (a year of recovery and rehab after breaking my leg and tearing my MCL) but had some background with training in martial arts, running, and dance. Some people come in with no real experience at all. Others are already very fit.

A good gym will scale things and ramp a new person up gradually as is appropriate, preferably with a series of fundamentals classes before dropping them into full-on WODs (unless they are at a high level of fitness to start). Good CF boxes scale and modify workouts for people who need it and take time to train people and teach good forms; bad ones dump them into WODs and let them muddle through with sloppy form with the inevitable injuries. I highly recommend doing your research before joining.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    This guy Experience: I am a 91-year-old bodybuilder | Life and style | The Guardian is 91 and started lifting when he was 85. Age is simply an irrelevant factor.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I'm 41 and just started CrossFit last week. I'm starting with a good base - I can do a few strict pull-ups and already have a decent deadlift, etc. There are some in the class who are very fit and bust out the workouts, but there are also a number who are quite overweight. No one really seems to notice. Everyone is very encouraging and really supportive of one another. I would recommend checking it out. The only concern I have is that it seems a bit much - definitely more than is recommended. I haven't quite reconciled the two yet.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I just started CrossFit at 42 and I am by no means anywhere near the oldest there.
    Check out this article on my boxes website:

It's Never Too Late | CrossFit Oakland

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    I'm 49 and started CrossFit about 8 months ago. The workouts are scaled (we have four options on the board every night). Plus, most boxes require an on-ramp class to show you some of the movements, the format, and give you an expectation.

I'm setting new bests in the power lifts and I'm getting leaner. I also took six months off of running to let a nagging hamstring injury heal, and I'm running reasonably well right now off a little bit of running and lot of CrossFit. I go 3-5 times per week, and on days where I'm tired, I scale the workout appropriately. I think the most important thing is to be honest about your fitness level for each workout, so you work hard, but not too hard, and so you avoid injury.

We have guys in their late 50s in our gym who are amazingly fit.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I'm 51 and feel stronger than I've ever been. I do high-intensity workouts at home but have been thinking about Crossfit for two reasons, one opened nearby, and I don't have weights at home to lift heavy weights with.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I'm in my sixties, still strong and reasonably fit--nothing like our Al K of course. Every year for over twenty years, until this year, I led a conference to NYC, taking a group of people 10 to 30 years younger than myself, and consistently they complained that I walked too fast and too far for them to keep up, though I was moderating my pace deliberately. The younger tended to be the least fit. My point is that age is a factor, but one of many. I do get a little tired of people who want to dump anyone over sixty in the boneyard of mda. Mark's in his mid-fifties after all.

Btw: a Framingham study that came out in the mid-90s showed that men (I don't know if women were included) even in their 90s could develop muscle strength as well as teens.
    Last edited by Digby; 06-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

rocknroll is offline Senior Member
    There are folks that work out at our CF box (gym) in their 50's and 60's. You don't need to have any fitness background to get started. Be sure to ask your trainers how to scale down the workouts for you and let them know of any injuries or pains.
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast