Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Legumes page

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm new to the PB nutrition ideas, but they seem very logical. However, I do have one question on legumes.

I understand the reasons about avoiding grains...but I am not sure I understand the problems with beans/legumes. (Peanuts...I do understand.) Are these not a primal food, in their natural state, as they are? Or have they become a modified food, due to the negative influence of man's tinkering with them?

I'm not disagreeing with this issue...just trying to understand it better...that's all.

Thanks!

Phil

marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

There is also a lengthy forum post about this already. Do a search for "Why Eliminate Beans"

I get legumes, starchy and carby and there are many other things I would rather eat. I still eat green beans, though. It's personal preference.

bobbylight Guest

Apparently they have toxins in them that are not healthy. I kind of see them on the same level as dairy though...as in not that bad. In fact, there are a lot of good things about beans: protein and fiber content are two big ones. Personally I don't really like beans, but if it is something you have a hard time giving up, I don't think you would be any less healthy for it to be honest. Others might have differing opinions though.

Here is what mark says about legumes:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

FairyRae2 Guest

One way to make beans/legumes a LOT more digestible (should you choose to eat them is to sprout them prior to cooking. I've read it makes them digest more like veggies, and takes away most/all of the phytates (anti-nutrients) which make them so hard to digest. If you check out nutritiondata.com, you'll see that sprouted, cooked beans often have 4x LESS the amount of carbs as regular cooked beans. So, if you're going to eat them, I think sprouting is the *most* digestible way to have them.

bobbylight Guest

4x less, aka 1/4, haha

FairyRae2 Guest

Yup--that would be an easier way to say it!

FairyRae2 Guest

Phil--I just want to add, in most paleo forums/sources, beans and legumes are out, I believe b/c they would not have been eaten pre-fire--they MUST be cooked to be digestible. (Did you know raw kidney beans are poisonous?!)

So, they are totally not 'paleo', but a lesser of other 'evils'...

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I've found that since going primal, I can't tolerate things like kidney beans - they give me all the IBS symptoms I used to have before when eating pasta, bread and so on (I have a gluten intolerance). Funnily though, the kidney beans never used to do that to me then. Or maybe they did and the symptoms were just masked by the gluten issue.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primalk I have found the same to be true. The only "bean" I ever really ate was chickpeas in hummus. Had some hummus post-primal, and had some of the worst most intense embarassing gas ever. Never happened before. Hahah.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

nina_70 Guest

I tend to avoid beans as well, since I do find them difficult to digest, but I would second the idea of sprouting if you choose to eat them. This is a good little primer on sprouting:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...hy-sprout.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast