Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare canned fish? page

bluebirdmama is offline Junior Member

How do you prepare canned fish?

Shop Now
    I am seeing lots of people mention they eat canned/tinned meat when they need a meal. How are you doing so? I have some canned sardines and canned salmon on my shelf. I have eaten the sardines straight but I miss the bread, or admit I have eaten them with potatoes chips and that is pretty good. As for other ideas, I am clueless. And as for the salmon, do you eat the chunks of bones in there?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    For canned salmon, you can tip out most of the liquid (or not - purely personal preference), mash in all the bones and skin with a fork - they virtually disappear when you do that. Nom down on the goodness
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Potato chips are not a great accompaniment if you want to keep it primal. I have just lightly fried the sardines in olive oil with some salt and pepper, and put them over a salad.

Edited to say: I actually don't put extra salt, just pepper. They are salty enough!
    Last edited by secretlobster; 06-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I use it as a snack mostly, a dash of tabasco sauce or lime juice and nosh straight out of the can! Other than that I dump it onto a salad of green leaves with a spicy home made tomato relish

bluebirdmama is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Potato chips are not a great accompaniment if you want to keep it primal. I have just lightly fried the sardines in olive oil with some salt and pepper, and put them over a salad.
    Lol, I guess I am a newbie. I am so used to that extra carb.
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    I use it as a snack mostly, a dash of tabasco sauce or lime juice and nosh straight out of the can! Other than that I dump it onto a salad of green leaves with a spicy home made tomato relish
    OOh, please do share this tomato relish.

Belinda, do you add anything to the salmon?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I just add a little cracked black pepper. Once your tastebuds acclimatize to primal and how good food really tastes, you won't need much more.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I'm eating sardines in olive oil out of the can while reading and responding to this thread. lol. I too used to enjoy chips with my sardines, but after a short time on primal, my taste buds stopped sending me signals to grab the chips. Like Belinda said, once you're acclimated to primal, the food tastes so great that you don't need much more. In the meantime, remember the 80% rule and don't beat yourself up if you aren't being perfect.

Belinda: I love the PETA comment.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I eat mine with a good glop of good mustard.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Just toss into a salad
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I eat mine with a good glop of good mustard.
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Just toss into a salad
    These are my two main uses for canned fish (in my case, sardines).
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast