Thread: Adult Acne page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Adult Acne

Shop Now
    When I reached my mid 30s I started to get awful acne. It appears to be hormone related and I get it at certain points in my cycle, my doctor gave me anti-biotics which helped but I stopped as I am not keen on putting stuff into my body if it isn't required!

I have recently cut out dairy to see if this will help as I believe that hormone fluctuations causing this type of flare up are influenced by what I eat. Has anyone else suffered and have you found relief from eating primal?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What does your nut intake took like? Nuts are very high in lectins and omega 6's, much higher than most legumes. How about conventionally raised animals? Do you take fish oil supplementation?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I do snack on nuts a lot mostly Brazil nuts because of the selenium. I do not take fish supplementation but I do use a product called Good oil which is Hemp Seed oil and has omega 3, 6 & 9.

I do struggle with the organic free range food or as you guys in the US call it Grass Fed. It is very expensive and I sometimes just buy 'regular' beef or chicken as much as I hate myself for it.

siouxie84 is offline Member
    Are you taking synthetic hormonal birth control or have recently come off it? It may be that your hormones are out of whack.

You might have a Candida (yeast) overgrowth as well. There are various symptoms besides acne so do a google search. Eating primal helps a lot as you are starving it of its main food source (grains and sugar) but eating lots of coconut oil and fresh garlic help as well as they are anti-microbial and kill off the nasty bugs. Coconut oil helps your skin look great in any case.

Birth control and antibiotics contribute to developing candida as well, so start taking a high strength probiotic asap.

krassi is offline Member
    I'm 25 myself and have suffered acne since my teens. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but still there. I've really just given up on it and started accepting it the way it is, hopefully it will go away with time.

Eating really clean will help, but not make it completely go away.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I suffer from hormonal acne and the things I do to control it... that work the best for me...

I use Neutrogena acne wash at night and the daily scrub in the morning (this seems to be really helpful compared to other cleansers I have used)
    I use a tretinoin gel at night (Atralin-mild and doesn't make me peel or get irritated) and benzyl peroxide in the morning. I also use Cerave moisturizer day and night. This has been my routine for a couple of months now... switched from just using Cerave cleanser/moisturizer to this routine and my skin improved a ton!

This all sounds a little bit harsh, but that is what it takes to stop it.

I also take spironolactone (refuse to take an antibiotic).

Eating primal didn't seem to help me, but maybe it's because I refuse to try to give up dairy to see if that's the culprit. Although, maybe it takes some time because I have now been primal for about 6 months and my skin looks good. Could be a combo of the above and eating primal. I used to get huge cystic pimples and now I will get a few small ones... nothing like they used to be.
    Last edited by healthy11; 06-14-2011 at 06:51 AM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, hormonal acne is difficult for women in their mid 30's to get rid of. Is it the kind that is mainly around your chin/jawline? Typically what I do other than wash my face is to either make a paste of salt and hot water and put that on the pimple or just put plain old Colgate toothpaste on the zit. Both seem to pull out the puss and dry the pimples out faster.
    Georgette