Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF'ing 18/6 or 14/10?? page

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member

IF'ing 18/6 or 14/10??

Primal Fuel
    I'm an active male and I've been having problems with a 18/6 type IF. I do feel better and perform better with a 14/10 type IF, but in that 10 hour window I eat right up to the point of going to sleep. I have seen mixed results which I might attribute to food choice and time of eating around work out (the longer the time from my last meal and my workout the better). Anyone have an opinion or suggestions? I eat strictly primal.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    I would simply move the last meal a couple hours earlier than where you have it, as long as you are hungry by that time.

cassel_man is offline Member
    I don't understand how folks call 14-18 hours without food a fast. You're essentially skipping breakfast and shifting your meals to the evening. It's just trendy and rationalizing to call skipping breakfast 'intermittent fasting'. FWIW, I do a 24-30 hour fast (which means stopping eating at lunch or dinner one day and not breaking fast until dinner the next). It does involve skipping at least 2 meals, so that does seem more like a fast.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolus101 View Post
    I'm an active male and I've been having problems with a 18/6 type IF. I do feel better and perform better with a 14/10 type IF, but in that 10 hour window I eat right up to the point of going to sleep. I have seen mixed results which I might attribute to food choice and time of eating around work out (the longer the time from my last meal and my workout the better). Anyone have an opinion or suggestions? I eat strictly primal.
    Huh?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    I don't understand how folks call 14-18 hours without food a fast. You're essentially skipping breakfast and shifting your meals to the evening. It's just trendy and rationalizing to call skipping breakfast 'intermittent fasting'. FWIW, I do a 24-30 hour fast (which means stopping eating at lunch or dinner one day and not breaking fast until dinner the next). It does involve skipping at least 2 meals, so that does seem more like a fast.
    So, basically you are calling everybody else wimps and reserving the title of "IFer" only for the hardcore cool guys like yourself? Pklopp had a whole series of posts with some studies showing the "sweet spot" for regular daily fasting being 12-18 hours.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RezH is offline Senior Member
    It's 16/8, not 18/6. See that error a lot. Do a 10 hour window if you want, but that's for girls.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Do a 10 hour window if you want, but that's for girls.
    Umm...not so much from what I've read on the Ladies' IF thread. 10 hours was simply what Martin at LeanGains noted was easier for some of the women he worked with.

I regularly fast 16-18 hours with occasional 22 hour fasts. (Female, 48)

Honestly, trial and error helped me find what worked best for me.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I might have missed something, but why are you fasting? What is the goal that you are reaching for? You say your having problems with the 18/6 fast, what problems? Just that you eat to much? That's easy, only eat when you are truly hungry, I think the benefit of a fast is reduced caloric intake and also to give your body time to burn off the food you ate already and the fat stores that you have. So if you give yourself a window of 8 hours to eat and spend all 8 of them eating, IMO your not fully reaping the benefits of a fast. I have been fasting 2 or 3 times a week, for 20-24 hours at a time, I eat dinner, go to bed, wake up go to work, come home, work out, cook dinner and eat again so that is somewhere between 20-24 hours. This works great for me, but my goal is the last 20 pounds of weight loss, if this is not your goal, this wont work for you.
    My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Female, 49 here. I normally don't eat between 6 p.m. and 9:30 a.m. That's 8 waking hours and 7.5 sleeping hours without eating (I go to bed at 11 and wake at 6:30). I think that qualifies as fasting.

To me, a 10 hour fast wouldn't count if you ate right before bed, slept 9 hours, then dawdled around for an hour before eating breakfast.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member
    my bad about the the number error. I have tried the full 24 fast and that just left me constipated (I have a sluggish digestion system). I am doing this to lean out and notice when I do IF leaning out is very easy. But it's finding the right amount of hours for 1. the eating window. and 2. scheduling around how long before my workout. Like I said the longer the better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast