Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IF'ing 18/6 or 14/10?? page 2

cassel_man is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    So, basically you are calling everybody else wimps and reserving the title of "IFer" only for the hardcore cool guys like yourself? Pklopp had a whole series of posts with some studies showing the "sweet spot" for regular daily fasting being 12-18 hours.
    No, what I'm saying is, use definitions of words. If you do something on a daily basis as 18/6 folks do, it's not really intermittent. It's just regimented and restricted. What's the difference between skipping a meal and when does it become a fast? Technically any time between meals if fasting time. I fast most everyday for 4, 6 and 12 hours, I'm a fasting machine!

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    cassel_man is technically correct, but we have to call it something. It's just the term that has been adopted to tell it apart from regular eating 3 meals a day spaced out at 5-6 hours apart.

trippplez is offline Member
    10 hour eating window daily is not fasting. Lots of people skip breakfast, eat lunch at 12-14, dinner around 20-22, that's it = 10 hours between the first and the last meal.

No one said that you will feel great. If you don't have some specific goals, don't bother forcing yourself.

Personally, I'm fasting for 19-20 hours daily, mainly because experimentally I found that I can eat really huge meals that I love without gaining fat (I'm quite skinny at 6'5''@185 lbs with 6% BF). 5 days doing that, even a "party" pizza, a pound or two of ice cream on the weekends, don't do any visible damage.

To recap: if you have the patience, experiment. Do one week of 16/8 with strict calorie counting, note the results and the general feeling, then do some other variation, rinse and repeat.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Without getting into a pissing contest about how long not eating has to go on for, I would say that any meal skipping (given absence of snacks) is fasting. At the end of the day finding what works for you and your routine long term is what is most important.

This is a timely article, and an interesting blog if you go through it: Finding a Fasting Plan that Works for You! | The Lean Look

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Umm...not so much from what I've read on the Ladies' IF thread. 10 hours was simply what Martin at LeanGains noted was easier for some of the women he worked with.

I regularly fast 16-18 hours with occasional 22 hour fasts. (Female, 48)

Honestly, trial and error helped me find what worked best for me.
    Me too! I regularly fast 16 hours. Lunch at noon, and I don't eat after 8PM. And I'm loosing weight.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    This is a timely article, and an interesting blog if you go through it: Finding a Fasting Plan that Works for You! | The Lean Look
    The Eat Stop Eat does sound interesting. But do you fast on specific days or do you get to choose the 2 days that you want to do the 24 hour fasts?

I think you can pick which days you want to do the fasts. I haven't done many 24 hour fasts, but might try a few. Usually, if I know I am going out on the weekend and eating non-primal stuff, then I do the 24 hour fast beforehand.

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the article. In regards to increasing the amount of time fasting (skipping meals) is there any suggestions or tips that could help.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I really need to give this place and you people a rest. Jesus christ...
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast