Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern humans shorter and smaller brain size page

sroelofs is offline Senior Member

Modern humans shorter and smaller brain size

Primal Fuel
    Scientist record decrease in human brain size | Space, Military and Medicine | News.com.au

Very interesting article adding to the body of knowledge.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    That's heavy duty.

Before I opened the link, I was thinking a good comment would be "must be all those 'healthy grains' " and the article starts out with-

Modern humans smaller, shorter
    Brains have shrunk by 10 per cent
    Change linked to start of agriculture

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    It takes strength, agility, and a big brain to make tools and weapons out of sinew and sharp rocks, to track and hunt prey, and to find edible plants amongst the blooming, buzzing confusion of wild nature.

It doesn't take strength, agility, or a big brain to plant seeds or harvest grain.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting article. However, I am sure more research and additional findings will be needed to support that theory. There will likely be many rebuttals. I would love to believe this is the case though.

Big agriculture will fight this for sure since they do not want anyone to believe that they made us smaller and dumber. I am sure some of their "paleontologists" will find other humain remains that show the exact opposite very soon.

Chuck_S is offline Junior Member
    Where is the proof a smaller brain is a disadvantage? Engineers at Intel or AMD would just call the modern brain a "die shrink". Shorter spaces between neurons, quicker reaction times between thoughts and perhaps more complex thoughts. Maybe brains with better "wiring" don't need to be as large. Example: Women have smaller brains than men yet they are every bit as smart... and some might argue quite a bit smarter:-)

foodaddict is offline Member
    Ive met some football players with some big ass heads and they were dumber than a box of rocks. Surely that would mean they have a big brain as well wouldnt it? I have no idea but I do know they would be lucky to be able to count to 10.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
    Where is the proof a smaller brain is a disadvantage? Engineers at Intel or AMD would just call the modern brain a "die shrink". Shorter spaces between neurons, quicker reaction times between thoughts and perhaps more complex thoughts. Maybe brains with better "wiring" don't need to be as large. Example: Women have smaller brains than men yet they are every bit as smart... and some might argue quite a bit smarter:-)
    or given the lack of overall progress in human society it is more likely to be atrophy
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    or given the lack of overall progress in human society it is more likely to be atrophy
    Lack of progress in human society? I can't read it in your post but that has got to be ironic.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I wish it were,. We have made advances this i will not dispute. however pro capite we have made far less advances in the last 100 years than the previous 100.
    Less people are contibuting to the knowledge base.

At some level you expect stagnation, how many improvements or paradigm shifts can you expect in housing, however we are still using essentially the same transportation methods for the last 500 years. We are using 2000 year old political structures. We have not performed any significant extraterrestrial exploration in the last 40 years.

I stand by my statement Humankind is stagnant.
    We here in this forum are "DISCOVERING" what our ancestors already knew as to diet. this is not new information.

Are advancements made, YES. but how many people are actually doing them. Edison Tesla Marconi and a few others all arrived at thier hypothesis of electricity and radiowaves independantly at the same time, Yet only ( yes i am watering it down ) Bill Gates and Steve Jobs thought about the personal computer )

the last 100 years have been about applying existing knowldege yet i do not see much in the way of true pure innovation and that i feel is mostly becasue we dont have a need. Why think if you can just live on the dole <shrug> ( raises hand ) guilty as charged,

perhaps only the select few ever moved mankind forward, but that select few seems to be dwindling.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    You've obviously never read about quantum physics.. About less pure innovation, I think this has more to do with there being a fixed number of "good ideas" and we are moving closer to discovering them all.
    Discovering "the same thing at the same time" not being doable today is because of globalization and the speed with which information travels rather than about people being dumber.
    More people are educated today and I can guarantee you that there are way more people working on ANYTHING still relevant today than on the same thing 100 years ago. You just don't hear about them because they don't get credit for it or they just don't attract the media.

Myeah I think your theory is silly and based on a false idealistic view of how the world was like 100 years ago and some kind of biased negativism towards modern society (ooh things were WAY better in the old days, now everything sucks) for whatever reason.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast