Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Be Strong page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I was sifting and sorting through my favorites list today, trying to clean out a bit. I came across a link I stashed away and left forgotten.

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/06/02/damien-walters/

This guy is amazing. I watched it and all I could think was "Wow... that really looks like fun. I wish I could be strong enough to do that."

Getting to that point doesn't happen over night. I just wish I knew the path to take to reach that destination. Same with Parkour. If you can't do that stuff, how do you learn it without breaking your neck? :P

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Parkour is fantastic. I saw a programme on TV where a group parkoured all over famous landmarks of London - they were up on the Houses of Parliament! It was stunning. And I think you just have to start off gradually - they were French and began on steps and railings. I think a great sense of balance might just help!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

PS - it's 6.15 here in the UK - isn't it late where you are?!

musajen is offline Junior Member

Oh wow! That video is amazing! I've wondered the same thing Diana, how to get started and do it safely. I wonder if martial arts would be a way to start out. Most seem to require you to learn how to fall and roll through things.

When i took hapkido, we would practice leaping headfirst over objects and people and then land by immediately rolling into a somersault like maneuver. Some had worked up to leaping over guys standing 6' tall. I was in awe.

Nikau68 is offline Junior Member

WOW A M A Z I N G ! ! !

Yeah, it was about midnight when I posted. Now I'm wide awake at almost 7 am. WTF? I usually sleep more than this. Maybe it's the anticipation of actually having a day off without having to go to one job or the other.

I really could use a better sense of balance. I have a great pair of rollerskates that I still can't use because I keep falling down. I think I need to build leg strength.

Either maritial arts, or gymnastics I'm sure would be helpful. Or both. The challenge (for me) would be finding an affordable class and time to actually go to it.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

www.americanparkour.com gives you lots of exercises and drills to get started! Haven't tried it myself as there isn't too much stuff to 'parkour' around my way but there some good vids and stuff on there.

I grok, therefore I am.

fotakou is offline Junior Member

Or you can always try some capoeira lessons. I myself train capoeira and I am extremely pleased. You can get a really good sense of balance by spending some time upside down and also you can train acrobatics with a trainer. It also seems that girls are more attracted to capoeira than boys,or maybe let me say it in another way:the stay longer. Try it if you want

I have always wanted to do capoeira. If there was a teacher or class in my area, I'd be on top of that!

nina_70 Guest

Holy smokes! Awesome video!

Yoga helps w/ balance & strength as well esp. as you progress to balance poses, headstands & handstands. It took me a while to be able to do a free-standing headstand, but I have no problem w/ it now.

Not sure I'll ever be any kind of Damien Walters tho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast