Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakfast Ideas page

Camila is offline Member

Breakfast Ideas

What do you guys have for breakfast? I usually don't have enough leftovers to have for breakfast. I usually have eggs and bacon or sometimes I make 'nut' nola with unsweetened coconut flakes and nuts/seeds. I am kinda tired of eggs and nuts though and the occasional smoothie with coconut milk (can't have whey protein, lactose intolerant). Can you guys please give me some ideas? Thank you in advance!

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    If you are lactose intolerant, buy yourself some 100% soy protein isolate - it's what I use. You can probably find it in the "specialty organic flours" section of your grocery store. My go-to smoothie recipe:

- 1 banana
    - 1 1/2 cup water
    - 1/3 cup coconut milk
    - 1.5 heap tsp cocoa powder
    - 4-6 heap tsp soy protein isolate (to desired viscosity - if your shake tastes watery, add more)

Thursday night after karate is the highlight of the week!

On the weekends I generally make a combination of scrambled eggs and something else. I fast some mornings; in fact generally I find it best to wait until 10:30-11:00 anyways or food puts me back to sleep.

For other mornings I just finished making 3 breakfast quiches for this week; contents:

- 6 eggs
    - 1/2 onion
    - 1 carrot
    - 1/2 head broccoli
    - 2 leftover sausages from breakfast

Sometimes I will do a "primal cereal", something like 3 chopped strawberries, a handful of blueberries, a handful of almonds, 1/4 avocado, and/or a blob of coconut milk. In addition, I would like to point out that there is no law that requires you to eat "breakfast" foods at "breakfast time".

Camila is offline Member
    Thanks jhc!!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I just cooked up some fresh king salmon for breakfast.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I was hardcore today (not to me, but I hear others can't stomach it).

Mackerel in tomato sauce, eggs, herring and a little asparagus. Oh, and avocado. I was hungry...

DianeS is offline Junior Member
    Am also lactose intolerant. I'm on an almond meal pancake kick: about 1/2 c Trader Joe's Almond Meal, (optional vanilla extract) and either a couple of eggs (for busy folks the natural egg sub makes it a little faster), makes 3-4 pancakes (make them on the small side for easier flipping and so they stay together)
    and I vary between adding
    about 1/3 c. pumpkin plus spices (cinnamon, cardamon, allspice) or
    a handful of blueberries, pumpkin seeds, a few chopped pecans, and few cranberries and 3 cut up dried apricots.
    Either with a side of regular or beef bacon or some of their organic sausages. You can top with apples and cinnamon (for example) on the pumpkin version if you want more moisture or variety

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    For another option, you can make a breakfast pudding with egg as a thickener. Use your liquid of choice (almond milk, coconut milk, etc) and heat it on the stove and temper some eggs into it with whatever flavoring you want. I enjoy mine warm right out of the pan!

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    I think you can have whey even if you are lactose intolerant. I think the lactose is removed. You may want to check into that; don't take my word for it.

Anyhow, I love fish for breakfast. I'm also going to try out the no-oatmeal made from nuts found in the primal e-cookbook.

Another one of my favorite breakfast meals is a mixture of onions, mushrooms, and greens with a little bit of balsamic and topped with cut up bacon. You don't even need much bacon. It's really like a condiment here.
    Woman, Artist, Wife, Visionary, Mother, Gardener, Daughter, Tea-drinker, Friend, Believer.

I could pretty much eat eggs for the rest of my life and not have a problem. But I rarely have eggs the same way twice. This morning I had scrambled eggs with bits of bacon cooked in bacon fat. Last Friday I had an omelet with caramelized onions and bacon. Thursday was 3 sunny side up eggs sprinkled with paprika, black pepper and sea salt, with warm liquid yolks that basically melted on the tongue. Throw some variety in your eggs, the time difference is minimal and the possibilities are endless.

The other thing is we're kind of locked into a perceived breakfast food. Move out of that. Do a quick stir fry. Throw some chicken wings in the oven. Saturday I had leftover curry stew for breakfast. It was warm, spicy and a great pick me up. Don't be limited by "breakfast foods".
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

cali798 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never thought I would get sick of eggs. I just started trying this lifestyle and I am starting to get sick of eggs already. Anyway, I did the primal warm cereal yesterday that someone mentioned above (listed in the primal cookbook). It was really good a filling that is for sure! I used almonds and walnuts, both 1/2 cup each, 1/2 banana a shake of cinnamon and a tablespoon or two of coconut milk...put all in food processor until desired consistency. Then heat real quick in microwave. I was also thinking soups in the morning might work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast