View Poll Results: For a single meal and the percentages of calories, what is low carb to you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5%

3 6.98%
  • 10%

11 25.58%
  • 15%

12 27.91%
  • 20%

8 18.60%
  • Who cares?

9 20.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For a single meal and the percentages of calories, what is low carb to you? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

For a single meal and the percentages of calories, what is low carb to you?

Primal Fuel
    Please answer the poll question and feel free to explain your reasoning below.

To me it is below 20%. This would mean 100 grams of carbs on a 2000 calorie diet. That is low carb to me. Over that is not high carb by any means.

Very low carb would be below 10%, maybe 5%.

I want YOUR opinion. I am quite curious...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I eat between 50 and 70 carbs per day most days.

So you would say about 10-15%?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I eat between 100-150 grams of carbs per day (from sweet potatoes, other starchy tubers, fruits and non-starchy vegetables) in two meals, and one snack (2,200-2,800 calories a day). 15-22% of my daily calories comes from carbs. This is low carb, and perfectly primal.
    Last edited by Zed; 06-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I'm kind of trying to understand the purpose question. Are you trying to establish some kind of benchmark by which recipes and foods can be classified as being suitably low-carb whereby only a few hardliners will frown at the ingredient list? (I am thinking in reference to your smoothie book.)

I personally can't be bothered to count carbs or worry about percentages, so I just eat well and avoid the usual suspects (as well as foods which can contribute significant amounts of carbs in large quantities) on the assumption that everything will come out in the wash. I would vote "who cares" but I'm not sure that really captures my stance, as I care about and moderate my carb intake (for example tonight I consciously went easy on the grilled sweet potato), but make no effort to actually measure it.

That being said, if my guess as to your intent is correct, then I don't think my demographic is the one you are worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    I'm kind of trying to understand the purpose question. Are you trying to establish some kind of benchmark by which recipes and foods can be classified as being suitably low-carb whereby only a few hardliners will frown at the ingredient list? (I am thinking in reference to your smoothie book.)

I personally can't be bothered to count carbs or worry about percentages, so I just eat well and avoid the usual suspects (as well as foods which can contribute significant amounts of carbs in large quantities) on the assumption that everything will come out in the wash. I would vote "who cares" but I'm not sure that really captures my stance, as I care about and moderate my carb intake (for example tonight I consciously went easy on the grilled sweet potato), but make no effort to actually measure it.

That being said, if my guess as to your intent is correct, then I don't think my demographic is the one you are worried about.
    You got it! I suppose I should have mentioned that. I could careless what the carb content is in my smoothies to be honest. Will I purposely add foods that are low carb? Yes. But I really don't care. I think I am going to go with 15%. I'll be explaining my reasoning.

I am doing this because its simply adds a LOT of VALUE since so many people now care about their carb intake. I'll be doing 5% for VERY LOW CARB.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Fruit and I don't really like one another. I do enjoy berries occasionally though. When I do food logging (usually when my jeans get tight), I find that I eat between 50-70 grams of carbs a day, which is where I feel at my best.
    Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

You are all a lot of help!! Lol. I'm being sarcastic...

6 of you say 20%, 7 of you say 15% and 7 of you say 10%. Sweet....

I was thinking 15-20% so I am thinking of putting a stamp on 15% and reserving 5% for very low carb. This is for my smoothie eBook...

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I said 20% is low-carb. And it makes me roll my eyes when some article calls something like Atkins "ultra low carb" when I think the medical study standard for Atkins ends up being about 35% carbs. My ultra-low-carb days are under 10%.

primalfamily is offline Member
    I eat 15% or so. (60-70gm on 1600-1800 cal/day) I am still losing weight, but I am not hungry on this lvl of cal intake. so, it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast