Thread: Cilantro Pecan Pesto page

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member

Cilantro Pecan Pesto

Shop Now
    This is delicious on chicken or fish. Cilantro is much cheaper than Basil (at least here it is)--and this is so simple.

Cilantro Pecan Pesto

2 cups fresh Cilantro leaves
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    1/4 cup each: lightly toasted Pecans and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp. finely minced Jalapeno (optional)
    1/2 cup EVOO
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In the bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, pecans, Parmesan and jalapeno; process until a smooth paste is formed. With the motor running, drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Freezes well.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I would never consider Cilantro to be a substitute for Basil; they aren't even remotely close in taste.

That being said, this sounds good.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Got some cilantro in my teeny-tiny garden right now! Not 2 cups worth though. Looks like I'm making a trip to the store.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    I would never consider Cilantro to be a substitute for Basil; they aren't even remotely close in taste.

That being said, this sounds good.
    Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to to make it sound as if it was a good substitute for Basil in a regular pesto. This is totally different.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Basil being expensive is a fair comment though. In fact, generally I find it impractical to buy fresh because any time you use basil you tend to use a lot of it. I could go through $10 easily making one batch of pasta sauce.

While we are talking pesto, does anyone have any tips on avoiding making a paste? Generally if you buy pesto from a store it comes as "finely chopped particles suspended in oil", which always seems better from a presentational standpoint. I suspect it requires sophisticated manufacturing techniques (not involving a blender at all).

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Htowngirl, that's exactly how i make pesto too (except i use a whole jalapeno, sometimes roasted, and i also use lime juice) & for the same reason (basil so expensive). But actually, i made some regular basil pesto the other day & now it seems that i prefer the cilantro way.

i didn't know you could freeze it, maybe i'll start making some again...

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    arugula make a nice pesto too - i didn't invent that, i saw it on giada delaurentis's show.