Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulin resistance page

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member

Insulin resistance

Primal Fuel
    I recently went to a new doctor who I really like. He put me on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, and suggested a low glycemic load diet and is very on board with the primal blueprint. He also said that it seemed like I had insulin resistance. I know that in general this means I need to limit my carbs, but I need to find a way to do it sustainably (I love fruit, so maybe just limiting it to one serving of berries a day?) Has anyone else cured insulin resistance with the Primal Blueprint?
    I've been primal for over a year, and have only gained weight, probably due to the hypothyroidism. Thanks!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely more insulin sensitive now. Went vlc for 6 weeks and it really helped me reset my body--not something I would do long-term--unless I had to!

I have mostly eaten under 50 gm carbs/day while primal, but last month went up to 60-80 gm per day, and am feeling great. You may need to experiment.

BTW, I am moving to Santa Fe next month! How are you doing with all the smoke?

ani
    Yeah experimenting seems to be the best route in all things health. going vlc sounds rather painful especially since its summer and We're getting a bunch of delectable summer berries in our CSA. I think I'll just track my carbs for a few days and try to drop my average by 10-20 grams slowly over time.
    Santa Fe is so beautiful! My new doctor is actually in Santa Fe. I'm doing fine with the smoke but I'm less inclined to go out when its really thick.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ani View Post
    . Has anyone else cured insulin resistance with the Primal Blueprint?
    Yes, but it was in combination of meds at the same time.

I had hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, and insulin resistance at the same time. I was huge. Triglycerides and insulin were way high. Here's a web page i wrote to answer this question- dietforhumans.com: My Diet and Plan

Primal works. I would drop the fruit until you know you are not insulin resistant any more (High triglycerides and insulin).

My drs favorite supplement for this is Maitake SX fraction.

ani
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post

I had hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, and insulin resistance at the same time. I was huge. Triglycerides and insulin were way high. Here's a web page i wrote to answer this question- dietforhumans.com: My Diet and Plan
    Thank you so much! I love your website. I'm realizing how serious insulin resistance can be and its great to know that Primal does work.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Here's my opinion in a nutshell: Your body reacts to food in your own special unique way. Get a glucose monitor (the monitor will cost less than $50, the strips cost about $1 each) and learn how your body reacts. Insulin resistence might earn you one free strip a day, but if you don't otherwise have a medical record of the disease it might not be worth it because of the future insurance risk. In any case the first few days you are going to use A LOT of strips finding out how your body reacts to each food. And then you will know what _you_ can eat without spiking your blood sugar.

And also you will really and truly know it. My experience is that without the monitor I sorta know this and that would spike my blood sugar, but seeing it go out of range is another matter entirely. Seeing that there is a big difference between one serving of something and two servings of something really makes it crystal clear. Also, since my body's meter is pretty much broken, I use my meter a lot to see if I "need" to eat or if I just want to eat. I am currently obese II and honestly it takes clean eating for about 90 days straight before my fasting glucose level (a measure of insulin sensitivity) really budges.

A very good book about diabetes is The Bernstein Diabetes Solution.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    My thyroid function is fine, so my situation might not fully jibe with yours. But I found that adding regular walking and twice a week LHT to my PB WOE all but wiped out my insulin resistance where the PB WOE did not.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I am currently obese II and honestly it takes clean eating for about 90 days straight before my fasting glucose level (a measure of insulin sensitivity) really budge.
    I am different in this regard. It took me less than 3 weeks to normalize my fasting blood sugar when I went on primal (and my numbers had been hovering in the low 300s for years on various diabetic cocktails). I ditched all my diabetes medicines before going primal. This was before adding exercise to the equation (which made things soooo much easier).

But yeah, having a monitor is critical to really determining where you're at.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Here's my opinion in a nutshell: Your body reacts to food in your own special unique way. Get a glucose monitor (the monitor will cost less than $50, the strips cost about $1 each) and learn how your body reacts. Insulin resistence might earn you one free strip a day, but if you don't otherwise have a medical record of the disease it might not be worth it because of the future insurance risk. In any case the first few days you are going to use A LOT of strips finding out how your body reacts to each food. And then you will know what _you_ can eat without spiking your blood sugar.

And also you will really and truly know it. My experience is that without the monitor I sorta know this and that would spike my blood sugar, but seeing it go out of range is another matter entirely. Seeing that there is a big difference between one serving of something and two servings of something really makes it crystal clear. Also, since my body's meter is pretty much broken, I use my meter a lot to see if I "need" to eat or if I just want to eat. I am currently obese II and honestly it takes clean eating for about 90 days straight before my fasting glucose level (a measure of insulin sensitivity) really budges.

A very good book about diabetes is The Bernstein Diabetes Solution.
    Dang, this has to be one of the most insightful 14th posts from any forum member. I was just IM'ing with a coworker about measuring one's glucose levels even for non-diabetics. The diet, paleo or otherwise, just gives you parameters. Ultimately one still has to figure out how one reacts to various foods.

And, if someone does have a real metabolic problem like insulin or leptin resistance, there's no such thing as "I really love eating _____." It's time to start learning to love foods that don't eff up your metabolism.

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I am definitely more insulin sensitive now. Went vlc for 6 weeks and it really helped me reset my body--not something I would do long-term--unless I had to!

I have mostly eaten under 50 gm carbs/day while primal, but last month went up to 60-80 gm per day, and am feeling great. You may need to experiment.

BTW, I am moving to Santa Fe next month! How are you doing with all the smoke?
    This. Go VLC for awhile. Your food cravings will disappear. Gradually phase things back in.

I feel off the boat last month and had to re-adapt. Went very VLC and then started riding my bike again.

FWIW, VLC is easy in the summer if you have a grill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast