Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Insulin resistance page 3

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    I would rather pay for a meter and strips out of pocket than get officially branded as pre-diabetic. Under the current health plan it may not be a big deal, but if things change, it could be hard and/or expensive to get insured with that label.
    Exactly. I may wish to become a consultant or go back to school or just end up unemployed. My doctor and I have a don't ask don't tell policy regarding my glucose levels.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Alright, so it looks like its just best to buy the strips out of pocket which I will gladly do. Once my strips get here (Amazon) what should I be looking for? I mean if my numbers are high in general do I just want to watch which meals/foods make them go even higher? or should I just check fasting glucose levels and see if they are slowly decreasing in response to my diet? I guess I'm not sure what I'll be looking for, since I eat such a wide and random range of low-carb primal foods anyways.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Blood Sugar 101
    Click on "Diagnosing Diabetes"
    Click on"Am I Diabetic?"
    Blood Sugar 101 Blood Sugar 101

Cam
    Cam is offline Junior Member
    I was diagnosed last year as a diabetic with a fasting blood sugar of 126 and a a1c test of 6.6. I had been having "prediabetes" fasting blood sugar readings for many years and was told to "watch my sugar". My doctor gave me a meter when I was prediabetic and asked for one (no insurance problem for me since Medicare covers testing strips) and I started testing one and two hours after meals as well as fasting. For me, the after meal test results were the most informative because I could see what foods did to my readings. The things that for me raised my bg readings too high (>= 140) one hour after a meal ended were fruit, starchy veggies like yams, white potatoes, anything made of flour and beans and sugar. The worst readings I got were after large portions of sushi (the rice!) and pizza. Also stress and any illness or allergy seemed to raise my blood sugar. Since you are not diabetic, you may want to use lower reads as a guideline - I think <=120 is considered normal for one hour after meals. A great website and book is bloodsugar101 and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Bloodsugar101 has lots of easy to use info - Dr Bernstein is more for the diabetic and is much more technical.

I wish I had paid more attention to this when I was "prediabetic" because I suspect I did a lot of damage to my body because I thought I was safe and not diabetic according to my fasting readings. It is possible to have good fasting readings and still have big surges in your post meal readings. I tried the low glycemic load route which helped some but basically was off on how my body reacts. Fruit and pasta are suppossed to be low glycemic but both make my blood glucose surge. Carbs are the main factors, but there are individual differences between how individuals react and even from meal to meal for me when I eat the same food. I have been testing and modifying for about a year now and my a1c test was normal on my last physical although my fasting glucose still fell into the prediabetic range. My fasting reading varies greatly from week to week. Since going low carb/primal I have corrected my borderline low thyroid and stage 3 kidney disease to normal with no medication. I take no medication for diabetes. I eat lots of protein, good fats (saturated, olive oil), low starch veggies, small portions of berries. I also eat some nuts, cheese, cream and coffee. I keep a spreadsheet with the time of meals and what I ate, exercise and my meter readings - fasting, sometimes before meals, 1 hour after finishing a meal or snack, 2 hours after eating, and 3 or more hours after eating. This helps me track patterns and figure out what works and doesn't work for me. My doctor probably thinks I am compulsive and maybe I am, but the results are gratifying.

Good luck to you. It's a process figuring out how your body works - depressing sometimes and other times interesting and kinda fun.

I too have purchased test strips from Amazon to supplement the ones I get under my insurance. I have heard that Walgreen has a good off label meter and less expensive strips, Walmart also, but have no personal experience with them. I use the one that my doctor gave me - the Onetouch Ultra2, which works ok for me, but with expensive strips.
    Last edited by Cam; 06-15-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: more info

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thank you Cam, all the detail helped. essentially I have to wait till my strips get here to start experimenting but I've really been watching my carbs/portions. It's kind of scary for me to think that I could develop diabetes so I want to give my 110% into clearing up my insulin/glucose issues. Congratulations on clearing up your issues!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123