Thread: Candida Question page

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member

Hi,

This guy promotes the 80-10-10 diet. (80%carbs,10%fat,10%protein)

And he thinks this will help fight candida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmcYRSvwGM

I've always thought that Low-carb would help fight candida. (less sugar for the yeast to feed on)

I just don't feel like this video is right. To me, Paleo/Primal makes more sense against Candida.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but could someone here prove him wrong/right!?

Thanks in advance.

semper ad meliora

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I have a colleague who suffers with candida and she doesn't eat any fruit, any sweets, any cake or any regular bread. She makes her own bread without yeast. She eats loads of vegetables (but only certain types) and does eat meat and fish.

You're right, sugar in your diet, whether naturally occurring or processed, will feed the candida. I would say though that carbs, as long as they aren't processed, are OK, but having 80% of your diet in the form of carbs probably isn't a good idea.

We've been discussing diet a lot recently and our food intake is not dissimilar - although mine has more fat in it.

It's not a stupid question in my opinion! Maybe others will have an opinion as well?

FairyRae2 Guest

Everything I've read about anti-candida diets (specifically the Body Ecology Diet, Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet) recommend low/no sugars, low or specific carbs. SCD and GAPS diet both are totally NO grain, while the BED allows buckwheat, millet, amaranth and quinoa. But virtually no fruit. I unfortunately cannot watch the video (my comp sucks) but the diets I've looked at that help to fight candida (and heal the gut) tend to seem quite paleo, and also tend to include lots of fermented foods, fwiw...

Edited to add: I'm not sure SCD and GAPS would be called 'anti-candida' diets, although their purpose is partly to heal the gut and restore the balance of good bacteria in the gut--which keep the 'bad' bacteria like candida in check...

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I have Dr. Graham's book and back when I was eating vegan (not vegans... vegan) I tried 80-10-10 a couple times and I participated in a couple forums about it. From what I understand (reading first and second-hand accounts), the 80-10-10 diet HAS cured people's candida issues. There are many people claiming it has worked for them on the 30bananasaday forum.

Personally, I had never even heard of candida until I started reading about 80-10-10. "Apparently", some people who try the "standard" vegan raw-food diet (as opposed to the 80-10-10 raw food diet) develop candida issues due to eating a large amount of fat (avos, nuts & seed) along with a lot of fruit (which are really the only two ways to get a decent amount of calories when eating a vegan raw-food diet. I guess the fat keeps the sugar in the blood longer, so the candida can feed off of it. But when eating fruit alone, the sugar enters then leaves the blood so fast that candida can't feed off it. I don't know enough about it to say what's really going on, but that's the accepted reason for those following 80-10-10.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Well, if it works, it works. That's the main thing in the end, since candida symptoms are not pleasant and also hard to get traditional doctors to even agree that they are real.

As I said elsewhere, we're all individual - and NeoPaleo is, apparently, special as well ;-)

Thanks for the replies all!

I was mainly curious about why he was so Anti-Fat.

I never really thought about how fat effected Candida and assumed it was safe because...well...it wasn't sugar!

But NeoPaleo's point about fat keeping sugar in the system longer makes sense. Same with fiber I suppose?

From personal experience (assuming there WAS an overgrowth), probiotics have done wonders compared to following a strict diet.

semper ad meliora

nina_70 Guest

Interesting about the fat affecting the sugar absorption rate. Most of what I've seen on controlling Candida is low-carb, no-grain, no-sugar diets.

By the way Coconut Oil is a wonderful anti-Candida remedy.

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/coconut-oil.html

FairyRae2 Guest

PrimalMike, I just posted a couple of MDC (motheringdotcommunity) links that might be helpful (related to candida) in the yeast thread here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ast-overgrowth

Just wanted to let you know in case they *might* be helpful!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Cool Links!

Thanks!

semper ad meliora