Thread: weight training for women page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I used to weight train a lot a few years ago but have not done much lately. I am somehow at a complete loss where to start.

I have free weights and a barbell at home which I would like to use.

Any pointers anyone?

Thanks

M x

Miriam Guest

Hi Maranne, good to hear you are getting back into the weights, here is a link to a great women’s weight training website for some ideas on what to do:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/dork_to_diva

Here are a few exercises you can do with either your barbell or free weights - squats, deadlifts and lunges for your lower body and rows, chest press and overhead press for your upper body. Very simple workout but very effective with very little equipment!

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Oh yeah, that's a great site. Good suggestion Miriam.

I would say, Maranne, start with 3 full body simple workouts a week.

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

I would say you can take the term 'for women' out of the topic... you'd want to do the same lifts a guy would. It took me a while to convince my girlfriend that pullups, lunges and squats were better for her than ridiculous machines like leg abductors. Now she out-dips and out pulls half the macho, huge guys in the gym. It's pretty amusing, actually, they try to do what she's doing and often can't (and she about 5 feet tall in sneakers). She has had intensely better results from the heavy, full body stuff. And pretty please don't worry about getting 'big.' Women who are competing in bodybuilding tend to give a bad impression, in my experience, to many women wanting a better body comp. It's frustrating talking to female friends who want workout advice but then say no, no, I don't want to look all manish... arrgh! You won't! (ok, end rant)

You've got a great set up with the bar and free weights. I'd send you over to crossfit if you want to explore some daily workouts to get you back in the groove. If something looks crazy intense, just dial it down (5 pull ups, one at a time, instead in a row, for example)

http://www.crossfit.com/

maranne is offline Senior Member

Thank you for your input everyone!

Like I said I used to lift quite heavy years ago and loved it. When moving to another country it all went out of the window and I somehow seem to struggle to find my motivation. I remember loving the look on those macho men in the gym when I could sat heavy etc. but then again...it is just a futile ego thing isn't it?

I will look at all the sites you have suggested and let you all know how I get on!

Thanks again!

M x

Graeme is offline Junior Member

Check out Rossboxing for some cheap training manuals I highly recommend Never gymless it is not just aimed at boxers despite the name