Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Produce, Budget Recipes page

Aliayzar is offline Member

Expensive Produce, Budget Recipes

Primal Fuel
    I know there are a multitude of post on budget eating but here is the million dollar question:

In south Florida we are pretty much out of season for produce and the prices we have are sky high at the farm we visit, I am talking $2.89 an avocado and $2.69 lb. for zucchini and thats the cheaper farm!

So anyone have any good budget recipes besides eggs( which we are living on which is still expensive $5 a dozen) that dont require much produce?

Thank you in advance.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I always go back to meat with a vegetable on the side rather than "recipes" which can use a lot of ingredients.

For instance, Roasts are good with a small amount of veggies or in the summertime heat, I also like grilled meat with some fruit/veggies grilled too. For instance, husband and I had steak and three small peaches grilled the other day. You could do the same with veggies too. Basically, if they are expensive, just eat less for right now and try to hit up whatever is cheap where you are!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    how about frozen veggies? they may not be local but they're generally frozen very soon after picking so they retain a lot more nutrients than stuff that's shipped "fresh" (I can't stand supermarket "fresh" peas, even in season because they're already so mealy, but frozen peas are yummy year round). if you keep your eye on sales they can be AMAZINGLY cheap. (a sale that comes through my local megamart every few months has broccoli and stri fry mix under a dollar a pound) also, shop your ethnic markets. the produce there is often a little beaten up but the prices can't be beat (5 lbs of onions for a dollar? crazy!) Use the dirty dozen/clean fifteen lists to see what produce you do and don't HAVE to have organic.

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    how about frozen veggies?
    Yeeees, when I want to buy a lot of veggies, I buy'em frozen. You can get a lot of frozen veggies for pretty cheap even when they aren't on sale. They have broccoli, turnips, peppers, onions, butternut squash, spinach, green beans... I also will eat canned pumpkin too. Canned pumpkin is the only canned vegetable I like really. All you have to do it heat it up with a little butter and it's a tasty side dish.

I usually steam my frozen veggies and eat them on the side of whatever protein I'm having. Good with butter or coconut oil on'em.

sooki is offline Junior Member
    Miami here! And stuck at Publix, to make matters worse. I definitely agree with frozen veggies idea (recently I've been hooked on steamed brussels sprouts.)

Oh, and any veggie stir fry recipe would do, especially if you have some tamari sauce, ginger, garlic, and green onion/scallion on hand.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Any opportunity for growing some of your own vegetables?

I also hear lots of recommendations for shopping ethnic grocery stores for better produce prices.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thank you all so much for the great ideas. I am trying to buy as much frozen vegetables but still prices are killer in south Florida, buying more conventional unfortunately and hitting up the few Oriental Markets I can find. Unfortunately our best frozen vegetable sale lately is frozen cheese covered vegetables at Publix 2 for $7 and French Fried Potatoes 2 for 1 so yeah.....sad situation . Thanks for the great stir fry idea and I think getting away from recipes is probably a great idea right now as well, mmm steak and peaches sounds divine.

I also recently found a Costco so I am going to look into that.

I understand being in Miami but at least your a bit closer to Homestead than Ft. Lauderdale. Be sure to keep an eye out for Bee Haven Farm Sales and Fairchild Tropical Gardens fruit sale days, its to far for me unfortunately but you can definitely take advantage Sooki.

Oh and I am trying to grow peppers and tomatoes, the heat is murdering them 90 degrees plus during the day and since I am one of the few in my neighborhood that is not spraying there plants everything decided it was a free for all buffet but I am still hoping.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any specific recipes for you but organ meats are extremely inexpensive and so are veggies that are really high in nutrients (mustard greens, dandelion greens, chard, collards, kale)

We love organ meats and are probably going to work out a deal with a farmer in Northern Florida soon, unfortunately our greens right now are $3.49 for a small bunch upwards, I am trying to find some frozen though because I know how great they are. Thanks again I can't say thank you enough to everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast