Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a butt roast? page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Ideas for a butt roast?

Shop Now
    I have a nice, big butt... ROAST! and I'm looking for ideas on how to cook it. The last one, I did in the slow cooker since lots of websites suggested that, but it didn't turn out all that great. Now I'm a bit uncertain how to cook this one, and yep, my folks are over and ate the last one that wasn't so great from the slow cooker.

So, it looks like more of an oven type roast, very firm and well formed etc. etc. like an oven roast should be. I just don't want it to be tough or dry.

Cooking ideas please and thank you!

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Hawaiian Style.......rub the roast with some liquid smoke and (lightly) with Hawaiian or Sea Salt. Toss it in the crock pot, for 8-10 hours. It makes it's own juice. Just shred, and eat. Or wrap with lettuce for a wrap. Serve with coleslaw, and/or mango pico de gallo. Delish!!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I had a boston butt roast and did the crockpot route too. I shredded it when it came out. I've never done a non-crockpot roast of that kind. Sorry!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm all crockpot for cuts like that. What was bad about the first one you made?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

The crock pot didn't work at all for the other one It came out ok, slightly tough, and still very well formed. It wouldn't have shredded, it sliced like an oven roast, and was just not as nice as I'd have expected. This one is similar, it doesn't look like a crock pot piece of beef at all.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Is it pork or beef? I used this recipe for pork roast - I did use a little pork belly with it and did not drain the fat as the recommended. It was delicious. I ate it in lettuce wraps with avocado relish and citrus marinaded red onions. Good stuff!

Braised Pork Belly Tacos Have Knives, Will Cook

Beef roast. Hrm, that gives me an idea, if I oven roast it maybe I will wrap it in bacon. I have some nice, fatty bacon that would do in the freezer. Maybe some Montreal steak spice, or just plain garlic n onions... hmmmm.....

The final decision: Cook it in the oven, and it was delicious. I put it in at 350F, and since I was a little worried about dryness I draped it liberally with bacon. It turned out perfect.

Mmmmm. Beef with bacon.

Sides were mixed veggies, and a slaw with sesame-ginger vinaigrette dressing.

Bacon Mint is offline Junior Member

Uds

Late to the thread since you have already cooked it, but next time I would recommend using an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)!

Easy peasy and cheap to build as long as you can find the right kind of barrel.

CoachSandee is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Mint View Post
    I would recommend using an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)
    This looks awesome. I don't think I could build it myself, but I bet I could get one of my friend's husbands to do it for me, especially if I cook for them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast