Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock/broth question page

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member

Stock/broth question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I put chicken wing sections (they have bones) in the crock pot with some red wine vinegar and a bit of EVOO.

It's been cooking in that (and its own juices) for about 8 hours now, 6 hours on low and 2 hours on high. It is currently on low right now.

I've been wanting to make chicken broth or stock (whatever the healthier one is, sorry) to reap the health benefits...so can I just use what I have? There's 2 lbs. of the chicken sections in there. Or is there not enough bones?

Any other ideas? I could just use the meat for tomorrow's lunch and save the bones for a broth.

P.S. - I am NOT any sort of master cook.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    If you want to make stock, I would add some water. I usually add meat, celery onion garlic and a carrot and fill the crockpot full of water and let it go. I never add oil, there is usually fat you need to skim off anyways
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious! I would pick out the meat when its done, eat it / use it, then add water, a splash of vinegar and an onion, a carrot and maybe some garlic and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain when liquid tastes yummy, refrigerate or freeze, and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    If you want to make stock, I would add some water. I usually add meat, celery onion garlic and a carrot and fill the crockpot full of water and let it go. I never add oil, there is usually fat you need to skim off anyways
    I can skim the fat off the top then? Sounds good.

Can I add frozen vegetables like the ones you mentioned? I can't go to the store now, but I have some frozen veggies I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious! I would pick out the meat when its done, eat it / use it, then add water, a splash of vinegar and an onion, a carrot and maybe some garlic and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain when liquid tastes yummy, refrigerate or freeze, and eat.
    Use the same juice that's in there now, right? That does sound good...

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Once cooked remove the meat and then put the bones back in the crockpot and add water... then cook for a however long (I do a whole chicken for 3 hrs...remove the meat... put back in the crockpot for 21 more hrs... so 24 hrs total). I add water from the start.

Then... after cooking strain into a large pot, cool, put in the fridge until the fat forms on the top ...this is when you can remove that layer. Then put your stock in jars. It only lasts for about 5 days... so use it or freeze it.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Use the same juice that's in there now, right? That does sound good...
    Yep yep, you bet! Just build on the wonderful tastes you've already got going in the crock pot. I use frozen veggies all the time.

Awesome! Added water and veggies last night and just woke up, smells wonderful.

This is very healthy stuff, right? Has vitamins and minerals?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, very healthy... gelatin, too! Good for your connective tissues and joints! Bone broths can help prevent osteoporosis and have a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast