Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness for the stupidly obese? page 2

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I like Quelsen's suggestions. Alternately, if he absolutely can't do this from a physical standpoint yet, he can work with a set of dumbbells, do wall pushups, do step ups - one step up, one step down, lunges, simpler bodyweight stuff like that to start.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I like Quelsen's suggestions.
    Yeah, and that's the sword that's hanging over my head. Just don't want it to become a friendship ruining event. Mike is as knuckleheaded as I am and very likely to scoff at *alternative* versions of full exercises, so that's probably where we'll end up. Guess the first step will be to have him try and then see how much he can actually do.

I just feel out of my depth, because beyond crap like hiking and canoeing, I really don't have much of a track record with exercise.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest standing, walking and maybe a few chair-squats (not every day). Standing probably is the easiest activity that still can be considered exercise, so I would start with that and add walking when standing becomes too easy.

Training anything but his legs probably is futile in terms of metabolic and health effect, obese people necessarily have strong legs and doing just a little bit more with them easily beats any upper body workout (at least in a perspective of weeks or months).
    Last edited by PatrickF; 06-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickF View Post
    obese people necessarily have strong legs.
    Yeah - when I was in college I started going to the campus gym to work out and this guy came up to me eyes bugged out asking how I got such massive calves. I said, You're kidding, right? (gesturing to my belly) They've been carrying over 250 pounds (ah, my lean days) for years!

aktres is offline Senior Member
    What about just following Mark's PB Fitness plan? Five body weight exercises geared to your fitness level, plus moving at a slow pace plus sprints. Download the e-book, watch Mark's YouTubes. Five exercises = squats, pushups, pullups, overhead press and planks, with progression based on fitness level. Add regular walks or swims or biking at a slow pace. Add sprints eventually.

Here's Plank Progression: YouTube - ‪Plank Progression - Primal Blueprint Fitness‬‏

Overhead Press: YouTube - ‪Overhead Press Progression - Primal Blueprint Fitness‬‏

Squats: YouTube - ‪Squat Progression - Primal Blueprint Fitness‬‏

Pull-Ups: YouTube - ‪Pullup Progression - Primal Blueprint Fitness‬‏

Push-Ups: YouTube - ‪Pushup Progression - Primal Blueprint Fitness‬‏

Hammermill is offline Member
    i second bodyweight exercises and include some band work.

edit: Here's some band exercises.
    Last edited by Hammermill; 06-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Walk, eat right and lose weight, THEN start really working out.

ThomasP is offline Junior Member
    I am a "stupidly obese" (368) guy myself. I started primal a few weeks ago and my method has been to listen to my body. As my metabolism has started to change I feel like moving a bit more every day. I am not doing any actual "exercises" but I stand more and do not feel the need to sit down nearly as often as before. A few weeks ago a walk down the hall had me out of breath. Now I am lifting random things in my house like chairs etc. and using muscle groups to do weightless resistance training at my desk during work. I also do this little goofy trot to make my wife laugh. I pretend to hold a spear up and run in place. It makes her laugh which is great but it also gives me a little exercise.

I reached the 10 pounds lost mark today and am going to start short walks on Monday. I think the key for me is to listen to my body. If i am feeling discomfort there is a reason for it.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i think as long as your doing SOMETHING as a form of exercise then you are doing well. start slow and work your way up to things

im 6'5" 385lbs and im going to be starting the primal blueprint this week. im lucky that i am quite tall and have some natural muscle tone, however a year ago i couldnt walk across the street without getting winded, just like your friend. I ended up taking up mountain biking and it really helped with my energy levels.

my problem is what i eat. i really believe the key to losing weight is all about wht you eat. I think it would be really possible for your friend to lose 30+lbs in a month eating 100% primal. several years ago i lost 30 in the first month on atkins and nearly 150lbs in less then a year, without ANY added exercise. i know not ideal but it goes to prove my point. if your friend is having trouble with the exercise have him concentrate on his eating until he gets some weight off then it should be easier to exercise

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Yeah - when I was in college I started going to the campus gym to work out and this guy came up to me eyes bugged out asking how I got such massive calves. I said, You're kidding, right? (gesturing to my belly) They've been carrying over 250 pounds (ah, my lean days) for years!
    lol i got legs like solid tree trunks from carrying my weight all these years

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast