Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to try Crossfit but... page

mcsnick is offline Member

Want to try Crossfit but...

Shop Now
    I am scared shitless! In all the photos everyone is super fit already. I know what kind of exercises to expect but I still feel like I don't really know what to expect. Can someone walk me through how it would go?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Everyone tends to be very friendly and supportive of the newbie. Don't worry.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Beef51 is offline Junior Member
    The first step is the one through those doors! :-) If it's a typical box everyone is very supportive! Talk can only go so far..make it in there and it can change your life. The program is designed for consistent progress and through that, you see great results! Very tough, BUT, stick with it and you will NOT regret it. Been doing it for 7 months and it has changed the way I look at fitness, nutrition, and life all in a positive way!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, not everyone is already fit! Everything varies from box to box, of course, but at my first class was an in shape dude, an in shape chic, an overweight chic, and an elderly couple. As previous posters mentioned, people at CrossFit tend to be really friendly and supportive, so I don't be scared. Go in there, do your best, and you'll fall in love with it all

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I know the feeling. Every Crossfit box I've been to everyone looked super healthy.

I just did my second evaluation on Thursday (the first box didn't work for logistic reasons). The trainer put me through three sets of four exercises: assisted pull-ups x10, modified/plank push-ups x20, sit-ups x30, and squats x40. I'm still feeling it today, but it gave her a good idea of my stamina and form. So now I move onto three days of private training, and then I'll be in the regular classes.

The other box wanted to do a one-month, twice a week On-Ramp program. Good idea and I was all for it, but they wanted me in at 6 AM, and my body has made it clear (via intense, thumping headaches) that this is sleepy time, not exercise time.

It meant a little more money to go with the other Crossfit trainer, but I think in the long run it's healthier for me physically. The last thing I want to do is beat the crap out of my body AND make it get up at a ridiculous time.

I think what I'm trying to say here is: listen to your body. Good thing about Crossfit is unless you live in BFE, there is usually more than one in town, so shop around! And don't be afraid to say, "Yeah, this place isn't for me." It's your body, money, and health, after all.

leomeister is offline Junior Member

Just do it.

Here's some tips:

Try to go with someone -- bring a friend along.

Definitely go through the Indoc class -- you'll often meet fellow newbies that are in the same boat as you.

Communicate -- the Crossfit instructors/assistants need your comfort-level feedback. Be honest and challenge yourself, but know and communicate your limits. Let them know your concerns.

My concern was the barbell -- it looked scary. And now I love barbell workouts!

Good crossfit instructors will scale the workout to your level and you track your own progress. You let them (and yourself) know when to beef-up the weights and increase the reps.

Just do it.

imnes is offline Member
    Don't worry, they will tailor the exercises to your fitness level. I'm nowhere close to being able to do pull-ups, they do variations that will give you the same workout at an easier level. I say just give it a try

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsnick View Post
    I am scared shitless! In all the photos everyone is super fit already. I know what kind of exercises to expect but I still feel like I don't really know what to expect. Can someone walk me through how it would go?
    Injuries - CrossFit Discussion Board
    CrossFit | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I are starting Crossfit Elements in three days. I am nervously excited because I have neglected met-con type stuff for a while. My wife's challenge will be with the strength stuff.

I have been and observed a few workouts and there is a broad range there from the ripped athlete to the gangly teen, to the overweight middle-aged folks. The box we're going to offers a free community workout every weekend. Last one, there was a lady about my age who was there for the first time. Doing a team workout, she not only hung in there, but was the second female on her team to complete the rounds each cycle. Everyone scales to their ability and everyone works their ass off. Most importantly, everyone is supportive of each other and look like they are have fun...in a sadistic sort of way!
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

onalark is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    My wife and I are starting Crossfit Elements in three days. I am nervously excited because I have neglected met-con type stuff for a while. My wife's challenge will be with the strength stuff.
    Hah. It's the reverse with me and myMike. I go nuts with strength, and he's mister endurance.

I hated jogging in high school, and I never grew to like it. Looooove pull-ups, pushups, presses, cleans....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast