Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supplements page

Lindsay0311 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey Everyone

I was just curious if anyone was taking any supplements before their workouts to help with weightloss. I heard some supplements are good but don't want to get the wrong kind that makes me feel jittery and will make me gain weight right back when I go off them.

Any suggestions? How about Jilliam Michaels?

62shelby Guest

what kind do you mean that makes you jittery? do you mean hydroxycut etc? that stuff is lethal for the endocrine system and can really screw your adrenals, especially if they are already fatigued. anything with ephedrine or psuedoephedrine. you may as well take cocaine or speed I reckon, or methamphetamine for that matter.

I cant imagine that anything Jillian Michaels sells is any good for anyone but Jillian Michaels bank account.

Strong black coffee works for me. JM's active ingredients are caffeine so why waste your money?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

If you really want an answer I'll give you one. L-carnitine is an aid in fat loss, and has no recorded negative side effects besides more bowel movements if too much is taken.

L-tryosine has also been shown to provide a nice energy boost which could be nice before a workout, not to be taken if your hyperthyroid.

A natural green tea supplement...

Those are usually the only 3 I pass on for fat loss, besides expresso before workouts which can also give you an energy boost. Definitely would not take that with tyrosine though, might get too jittery.

Once again these are only aids, all of the laws Mark lays out are very important. I won't get into that because you strictly asked about supplements.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

62shelby Guest

I have used tyrosine, definitely an energy boost, I was not drinking coffee at all when I took it, but did nothing for fat loss. I havent seen any reports that prove that carnitine improves fat loss, though I know its touted as such. AS do you have any reading material to the contrary?

Del Mar Mel Guest

Caffeine is said to help you tap into your fat stores faster and thus bypass glycogen. For this reason the Olympics deems it a competitive advantage and has a ban on a certain level of caffeine which is around 6 cups I think.

I know Jillian often mentions a caffeine/ aspirin stack. Though I appreciate that Jillian is very whole foods/ organic/ ultra clean diet I'm not sure I buy into that idea. I have a huge mug of coffee with a cup of coconut milk about an hour before my workout. In the winter it might just be what I need to warm up in the morn but either way, I use organic, fair trade coffee so at least it's the pure stuff. I've tried all the stuff out there (it seems) at one point or another and never noticed any difference. At this point in life I just want to know exactly what I'm putting in my body and I try to keep it simple.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Shelby tyrosine would only help with fat loss if you had hypothyroid, it's often prescribed for that along wiht DLPA I believe. It does provide a nice natural energy boost that is helpful if your trying to ween of coffee or another stimulant.

Coffee or preferably expresso is just another energy deal which could help with a better workout. It definitely does for me and for a lot of other people. It is especially helpful since producing a fat burn through workouts is much more effective than attempting to decrease fat through calorie manipulation.

As far as L-carnitine goes, it helps with the mobilization of fatty acids. Meaning you should more readily oxidize fat, and it has been shown to do that because that is one of its' physiological functions. Many of the studies do it wrong because they prescribe it to endurance athletes who may have already reached their physiological limits versus the average health enthusiast who has most likely not.

As I always say, the best "study" you can look at is one with yourself. Everyone is different, and the results can vary widely from person to person.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

62shelby Guest

Actually I started taking the tyrosine because my tsh was too high, I just got a bit of an energy boost...my tsh did come down afterwards but I didnt notice any difference in terms of my ability to burn fat, which is zero presently. Coffee is my preferred pre workout poison.

Yeah, agreed, definitely the best study is myself, and I experiment a lot. If the tyrosine didnt work for me its unlikely the carnitine will I reckon.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) are amazing. I can tell a big difference when I take them and when I don't.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

62shelby Guest

what kind of differences do you notice? I started drinking whey protein isolate without flavor in water a few times a day, that makes me feel better.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Well HIIT becomes a lot easier, for instance. From what I have read, it tricks the body into burning fat for fuel, thus saving glycogen (similar to the above mentioned caffeine) That means you have energy for longer.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast